Today's covid news conference

Sponsored Links
The chinese started this caper

they are deliberately with holding info ;)

Yeh like Trump said it was deliberately engineered as it works so well. China liked the idea of what they are doing currently - isolating 30m in N China ;) after all they are better at handling it along with some others.

Virus engineer themselves - as you may have heard recently.

Yeh like Trump said it was deliberately engineered as it works so well. China liked the idea of what they are doing currently - isolating 30m in N China ;) after all they are better at handling it along with some others.

Virus engineer themselves - as you may have heard recently.
The virus could never have been engineered by the Chinese, if it had it would have fallen apart months ago, just like most stuff from China.

The virus could never have been engineered by the Chinese, if it had it would have fallen apart months ago, just like most stuff from China.

Blimey never thought of that tbh
U make a fair point

Sponsored Links

The "original" virus "fell apart" months ago, in that the virus can mutate at any replication, and does at many of them.

I'd bet that (if the original exists at all), it does only in a freezer in a lab somewhere....

Like I said, it's a misnomer. It confuses and misguides people, potentially causing complacency

I'm not entirely sure what immunity means in health terms......

The dictionary term is: "the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells"

It seems to me immunity means you don't get ill, it doesn't stop you getting something and spreading it around.

So the vaccine does provide immunity.

It seems to me immunity means you don't get ill, it doesn't stop you getting something and spreading it around.

If (and I know it's an "if", albeit not a big one) you don't go around licking and hugging strangers, passing the virus on even if infected but not showing any symptoms must logically be very unlikely, must it not?
If you're not coughing, sneezing, etc, transmission is going to be negligible?

I'm not entirely sure what immunity means in health terms......

The dictionary term is: "the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells"

So the vaccine does provide immunity.
Fair comment, but would you agree that immunity in the mind of the average person means protection from something, e.g. immunity from prosecution?
Immunity can be defined as a complex biological system endowed with the capacity to recognize and tolerate whatever belongs to the self, and to recognize and reject what is foreign (non-self)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunity_(medical)#:~:text=Immunity can be defined as,foreign (non-self).
The vaccine does not, in itself, provide protection from catching (and we can assume) transmitting the virus. It merely reduces the symptoms to a more manageable level. Therefore, to suggest to the average public, that the vaccine providing immunity, provides protection from catching Covid, is a misnomer.
It's fine to use such descriptions as 'the vaccine provides immunity' as long as we are all aware exactly what immunity means in that sense. I don't believe that to be the case. And complacency is liable to result from a mistaken assumption of what immunity precisely means.
The message needs to be clearly and loudly communicated that those vaccinated can still catch, (and we assume transit) Covid. And that the usual protection and preventative measures need to be continued.

If (and I know it's an "if", albeit not a big one) you don't go around licking and hugging strangers, passing the virus on even if infected but not showing any symptoms must logically be very unlikely, must it not?

It certainly seems logical that if you don't get ill, then you probably won't be shedding much virus.

I try not to lick strangers as a rule.

It certainly seems logical that if you don't get ill, then you probably won't be shedding much virus.
That wouldn't explain the asymptomatic transmission.

That wouldn't explain the asymptomatic transmission.

1. Asymptomatic transmission is a hypothesis; to be best of my knowledge anyway.
2. I deliberately used "if", as in "if people (don't closely contact others)".
3. I deliberately used "unlikely" and "negligible", rather than "certainly not", "absolutely not".

1. Asymptomatic transmission is a hypothesis; to be best of my knowledge anyway.
But it's wise to assume it's not just a hypothesis.
As things stand, a person who tests positive with any kind of test may or may not have an active infection with live virus, and may or may not be infectious
https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4851
Additionally, it still wouldn't explain the rationale for closing schools, etc.
An interesting other bit of information in this link, that can't be mentioned in the relevant thread, because it's been locked:
Earlier estimates that 80% of infections are asymptomatic were too high and have since been revised down to between 17% and 20% of people with infections. Studies estimating this proportion are limited by heterogeneity in case definitions, incomplete symptom assessment, and inadequate retrospective and prospective follow-up of symptoms, however. Around 49% of people initially defined as asymptomatic go on to develop symptoms.

It wouldn't, because any "rationale" (if it exists at all with this bunch of clowns) would be based on a number of factors, both for and against.
It's based on 'the science'.

Additionally, asymptomatic might be pre-symptomatic.

Sponsored Links
Back