Toilet and Shower Waste Issues and Possible Blockage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an ensuite from which the waste from the shower tray, wash basin merge (I assume) with the toilet. Recently when we flush the toilet it doesn't quite run away like it should, the water following the flush settles maybe 2-3 cms above normal and then subsides to normal in 15 seconds or so, while this happens the shower trap bubbles a little.

The toilet itself does not appear to be blocked.

I've tried blocking the basin waste and overflow, filling the shower tray with water and then using a plunger and it seemed to help a little but hasn't cleared fully. Repeated the above a few times while also flushing toilet and releasing a full basin.

Is there anything chemical we can put down the waste (and which one?) to help shift whatever it is that's getting in the way or do we need to stump up £££ for someone to come and sort it?

Cheers, T

Sponsored Links
try one of these - they're great and cheap

ae235

Given the pipework seems to be restricted rather than blocked then I would hope any compression fitting would be made tight enough to take the mediocre pressure that this pump can produce, even then I would think it's more likely to blow or suck by the plunger seal before any fittings blew apart.

Never had an issue with any pipework using this, have done with the Rothy 'pump up and then release the blast' type though which I tried before, that wasn't pretty.

Sponsored Links
Hope is the key word here and had similar experience to you with the pump up kinetic ram type.
From what the op says surely the restriction is in the soil stack and air forced back is making the shower gurgle.

The one in my pic is just a blow and suck pump, it doesn't pump up and then let a pressurised charge go.

Yup, could be a partial vent blockage and the flush is pulling on the shower trap but I would expect the basin to do it too if it's on the same run, rather than a partial blockage and the flush just making the lowest trap bubble up rather than pull on the trap?

OP ... is the shower trap bubbling up or is it just gurgling?

The one in my pic is just a blow and suck pump, it doesn't pump up and then let a pressurised charge go.
I know mate but the way I`ve seen some people "go at it" with them makes me wince. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back