Ensuite room toilet and shower waste reoccuring blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a ensuite room in one of my bedrooms in my house. It has a toilet shower and basin. This was put in in 1996 by a builder who’s work I later found out to be a bit of a cowboy (liked to take short cuts).

However recently been having a bit of the problem with the ensuite toilet/shower waste. Often this has been a lodgers room and worked fine for years. However recently since March the toilet started blocking up and then also backing up the shower waste as well (yuk).

I manage to unblock this with a air blaster. However after say 2/3 weeks the same happens again.

I know that maybe this isn’t acceptable toilet and shower waste inter joined. I refer to above the builder being somewhat of a short cutter.

Ideally I suppose taking the floor boards up and seeing how the thing is plumbed would help, but be a real inconvenient, as would mean disturbing the other lodger. I don’t want to do this unless really have too.

What I wondered was is there any other treatment I could do for reoccurring blockages? For years it been ok, but now it’s not!

Sponsored Links
I think theres a good chance the pipework has been disturbed or moved slightly if it was not secured very well initially.

I dont think you have much choice other than to inspect the pipework because unblocking it isnt working

Maybe there's not enough volume of water been flushed through the loo?

I used to live in an old 1900's property where the drains kept getting blocked when a new short flush toilet was installed.

Also are wipes like baby wipes being flushed down the loo?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies.

It looks like that volume of hair down the shower waste could been the issue? The prevouis lodger (female) had hair extensions and there was loads down the waste (it was like rope)!

The wastes have been fine for years with prevouis lodgers, so I can only come to this conclusion.

I put blown it through with an air blaster again and put soda crystal down the shower waste. All flows ok, just have to wait and see if it does it again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back