Toilet cistern ball valve shutting off too low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - I couldn't find answers in the Wiki but please forgive me if I have missed them somewhere else. I have replaced the "ball valve" in my toilet cistern with this one:

here

The problem is the water now shuts off too low, preventing the toilet from flushing. After some experimentation with the float position it seems to me that the arm is not long enough to allow the required amount of water in. Is there such a thing as an extension for the arm, or a smaller float maybe.

Or is the answer that I have bought the wrong thing completely? It fits and works and doesn't leak but I can't understand why it won't let enough water in??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Mark - I was coming around to thinking I must have bought the wrong thing. One last question - the "part one" was easy to fit onto the existing plumbing - will this jobby be just as easy (it looks plastic to me so will I need anything to "seal" it - or will it just fit the same)

It will fit just the same. It might be an idea to put a new fibre washer in the connector while you are at it.

Was the previous valve a Part 1?
Why did it need replacing?
Is it fed from a tank or the mains?

Sponsored Links
Hi Mark - replaced as wouldn't shut off so water constantly going out overflow. Yes old one was the same as the one I bought - more or less. It is fed from the tank.

Got home and have tried to fit the new one you recommended - but the "gubbins" that makes the toilet flush is in the way!! Bloody thing's driving me round the bend!!

Going to look now at replacing the "gubbins" so it all fits. Be back in a bit.....

Decided against replacing the gubbins and bought a part 2 instead. This now works but in an ideal world I'd like a bit more water to come in before it shuts off (it only just covers the bit with the "plunger" attached to the flushing handle in it). I have the float set as high as I can get it before the bend in the arm. If only someone made a flatter float I would be laughing. Do I have any options - maybe bending the arm a bit?

Take the fitting out of the toilet if you want to bend it as you might cause more damage bending it in place and crack the cistern.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back