toilet cistern has small continuous run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new cistern /toilet fitted by a plumber,trying to get him back but will probably never see him again.
The cistern is one of those push button type and it flushes ok but there is a very small continuous run into the pan, it looks like it just needs a small adjustment inside the cistern.
Any thoughts on this and how or what do I adjust it?
How do I get access to the inside of the cistern?

thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is as you say push button without more info will poss be the button on cistern lid is needing adjusting, Button not allowing flush to spring back so drop washer not sealing allowing constant run.Witout seeing it try pushing [should be two half moon shaped plastic bits] up into lid while holding top button ,hope this helps. why is plumber not coming back cause its only a 5 min job prob gives us all a bad name.

Could also be the water level set a tad high, or the float valve sticking, or bunged up with a bit of rubbish so it's not sealing, and water trickling down an internal overflow..

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the replies I will have a look this afternoon and if no joy I will take a couple of pics for further advice.

thanks

Ok I had a look and I adjusted the white pastic philips screw which can be seen on the darker blue plastic (picture) It stops but after a few minutes there is a small trickle again. Pictures below.
Archiehouse0001.jpg

Archiehouse0002.jpg

Archiehouse0003.jpg

Archiehouse0004.jpg

The water level in the cistern seems low so not over flowing (light blue tube). With it be closed coupled I would now sugest leak at the bit where the flushis connected to the cistern, not the the do-nut but the rubberwaser and sealing knut.

1. Shut off water supply to cistern.
2. Twist to release, then remove, the flush valve.
3. Sponge out all of the water, removing all the bits of grit.
4. Pour in a little more water, then remove the grit again.
5. Repeat step 4 until no more grit appears.
6. Clean all grit off the rubber washer at the base of the flush valve.
7. Reinstate flush valve and test.

if thats crap i see in the bottom of the cistern, chances are there is sediment on the seat of the syphon, stopping it from seating correctly, allowing a small trickle of water to pass. try this first before any further adjustment.

Ok thanks I will try and clean the grit out today or tomorrow and will post how I get on.
thanks

Update.

I took the flush part off and didnt find any grit attached to it or the seal, however I did clean everything as suggested but still getting a small trickle. it doesnt seem to have improved or got any worse since doing this.

In that case the problem is one of the following:

1. The flush valve is sticking and not allowing the washer to fully seat;
2. The rubber washer has hardened out of shape and isn't sealing anymore;
3. The flow of water has worn the seat out of flat.

If the valve isn't particularly new then I'd get a replacement (it looks like a Multiqwik). You'll have to remove the cistern to remove/replace the bottom part of the flush valve.

BTW, this type of behaviour is exactly the reason that this type of valve wasn't allowed in this country until fairly recently. The same goes for flapper valves. You can't beat a gold old British siphon flush valve.

Going from bad to worse now as I had another attempt to clean the valve seats but now the push buttons (for flushing ) do not pop back up.
How do I.....
1. adjust this?
2. disconnect the yellow cable from the underside of the push buttons?
3. Generally can I dismantle this unit for inspection, and how?

Thank goodness we have 2 toilets or SHE would have me dead.

Archiehouse0006.jpg

Pull that yellow tab under the cistern lid - it will unlock the cable thingy from the mounting whatsit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back