Toilet cistern - is there a Universal fitting / cure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cistern on our single flush centre button system started to leak - rightly or wrongly we put this down to the base washer in the central cistern having perished allowing water to perpetually travel down into the bowl - I removed said cistern and have travelled extensively locally to try to find a replacement - only to get shakes of heads and almost universal 'never seen one like that responses' - I have almost given up on this forlorn quest as the system has no brand markings anywhere - not on the cistern, water tank, or bowl...

So finally the question - if I remove the supporting cradle and reveal the aperture at the base of the water tank - will I be likely to be able to fit another brand new cistern fitting - with cradle in place the hole appears top be c 50mm. I am getting desperate as the last but one plumbers merchant suggested that I might need a new tank, cistern and bowl - all because one albeit fairly large, washer/ seal perished...

Any thoughts welcomed - thanks

PS sorry I would post images but the instructions on how to do that leave me stumped!

Sponsored Links
Would like to help, but can't quite picture what you mean. Your terminology is a bit non-standard and it's late...... a pic would help.

Guessing you mean the foam washer I have highlighted; if i am correct then I am sure a replacement that isn't exactly the same would do the job.

BUT............ I am sure the merchants whom you have approached also know this, so may be that you need to do as Chris says and give us a little more info.

He is talking about the actual flush valve, which has a large rubber washer valve replacements are difficult because of the various makes and sizes, especially the height of the unit, never seen any replacement washers for these.

Sponsored Links
Now you say it a worn foam washer would be unusual :oops:

Replacing the guts of the cistern aint a difficult or expensive job though....or am I talking tosh again?

"water perpe.prepert.....constantly running into bowl.......It`s the modern overflow warning :oops: . May only have been the float valve :oops:

Thanks Gasman - yes it is the flush valve,

I have just bought a fluidmaster "flush valve and top flush button" (still in packet with receipt!) - and whilst this looks completely different - I think that the outlet diameter might be the same allowing me to start afresh as it were - would this sound reasonable or am I being wildly optimistic?

Thanks to all - much appreciated

The diameter is usually standard, it is the height compared to your cistern and push button. Go for it.

I have seen these types of flush valve alot, i used to fit them, but not any more, i would sugest a trip to your local b& q and get a new push button type flush valve with internal overflow, most are ok you need to no wether it's 1 1/2" or 2" the foam washer(donut) can usally be bought at a plumbing supplies but there are several types, i carry the big fat one this usally works on most, be careful when tightening the wing nuts be sure to do them evenly, hope this helps some
Mark

Thanks for all of the advice and guidance - flush valve replaced and toilet back in action.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back