toilet cistern keeps filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have two identical toilets.
One works fine, the second was ok for a year or so, now the cistern keeps filling, sometimes you can see a tiny trickle of water in the bowl.
I have taken the fill valve/float out, cleaned the rubber seal.
I have swapped them over and the first cistern works with either fill valve/float.
the second cistern keeps filling with either fill valve/float.
this makes me think it's something else - what could it be?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is the flush valve cable operated???? if so, then you may find that the cable is binding, so the valve aint closing.

hence the pic will tell a thousand words

float def not stuck, its like a little upside down plastic cup, (its a torbeck adjustable height bottom entry fitting valve) as ive said it works in the other toilet but not in the one it normally lives in.

I will get a photo of inside cistern tomorrow.

i have checked and cleaned the seal with the little pin in it behind the float arm, it was clean and in one piece - didnt look faulty.

ive looked at the fitting instructions and there is no mention of checking/cleaning anything else at the base, and its not cable operated.

internal overflow sounds possible but why?

thanks for all your posts

ive looked at the fitting instructions and there is no mention of checking/cleaning anything else at the base, and its not cable operated.

internal overflow sounds possible but why?

You are talking about the flush valve not fill valve aren't you ?

bbbill1234 said:
as you will guess - i'm not a plumber - if my flush valve is letting by, which bit do i replace? is it part of the syphon?

As you are not a plumber, here are the options regarding flush/outlet valve:

Syphon:
adjustable-height-wc-syphon.jpg

Flush valve, various styles:
Fluidmaster%20Dual%20Flush%20Valve.jpg
opella-variflush-toilet-drop-valve.jpg
geberit-impuls280-dual-flush-valve-no-button--84-p.jpg

Flapper valve:
605225_front200.jpg

Is your toilet low level or close coupled?
Low level:
ullswater-low-level-toilet-cistern-and-seat

Close coupled:
bristan-blade-jute-close-coupled-toilet-28105-11161_medium.jpg

Where does the water supply come from to each toilet, both mains, both tank, one from each?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back