Toilet doesn't flush unless lever pumped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Moved into this house not long ago and the downstairs toilet always needed a bit more force to get it to flush

Over the last year this has gone from a bit more force to having to pump the handle

The old lever looked a bit tired so I replaced that (see pictured) and I've tried it in different positions to try and get the most "purchase" from the flush, no joy

Any advice/ideas appreciated

Video in link - https://go.screenpal.com/watch/cZffFwVsbF4

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The plastic membrane which acts as a one-way valve inside the flush body is likely knackered. Time to replace the flush.

The plastic membrane which acts as a one-way valve inside the flush body is likely knackered. Time to replace the flush.
Can't you just make a new membrane out of a piece of polythene?

Reactions: CBW
Siphon is knackered, probably just the washer, but as it's got to come out the cistern to replace the washer, I'd take the opportunity to replace it with a 2 part siphon, and make future maintenance easy, unless you're planning to change the entire WC in the near future.

Avoid the temptation to replace it with Flush Valve, they are poxy affairs and vastly inferior to a Siphon.

Sponsored Links
Just to add a little more detail - a 2 part siphon allows the siphon part to be removed from the outlet flush pipe at the base of the cistern, so you can easily replace the membrane in future without having to take the cistern apart from the toilet bowl.
And I agree, siphons remain much superior to any of the new flush mechanisms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back