Toilet drainpipe leak repair with a liner?

Sponsored Links
It's still far too much for most of us to afford. When I did contracting work I got £35 an hour for a long 40 hours week. and thought it good. It was. And that was self-employed. Good accountant, hardly any tax.
Or in reverse, do an ordinary job - no tools, van or camera required. Like a nurse, teacher or dentist! Trades never used to charge so much a few years ago. Huge gaps now between our wages and prices. Can soon make money on £117,00 or 80,000 a year!! £40,000 would be a dream for half the population. And of course when you start young plenty of time. Nowadays there are no differentials like there used to be. Another modern thing.

Last edited:
Plumber came, made a reasonable guess the leak was water getting back under a gap below the exit pipe. Tried a seal with that white sealant. £60. Said he could come back and cement it in. That would be another £60 so I did it myself. £14 for Bostik Cementone "waterproof" masses left. Unfortunately didn't work so logically the leak is probably at the other side where it is next to and behind the foundation wall! Would have been worth £60 if correct! Logical thing to try first but I can't keep shelling out £60 per hour for the bigger job ahead now I'm on a low income. So obviously now a big job so gone via Insurance. Will still cost hundreds though. £250 excess!! Trace and access. Floorboards up and the works looks like. Now that's a job that would demand a higher rate!

Attachments

• IMG20240314131917.jpg
    IMG20240314131917.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG20240314165746.jpg
    IMG20240314165746.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 37
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG20240314132334.jpg
    IMG20240314132334.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Exactly my system. Going to cost me £500 to line that tiny pipe. If it was simply underground as in the photo instead of where it is I would dig it up myself. I used my own DIY camera and it does seem to be broken at the joint as suggested by the plumber.

Attachments

• brett-martin-single-socket-92.5dg-push-fit-bend.jpg
    brett-martin-single-socket-92.5dg-push-fit-bend.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG20240317001236.jpg
    IMG20240317001236.jpg
    943.1 KB · Views: 18
So trying to save money is costing you money? If patching Drains was so easy, everyone would be doing their own and no-one would be getting away with charging £500.

Of course, you'll have the the Jetting Gear to clean the pipe out prior to repair, a 4" Packer, a Patch, the required resin, a compressor to inflate the packer, the camera to be able to see what your doing, and naturally the knowledge and skill to get the patch into position, inflate the packer, get the patch into place and cured, then withdraw the packer, all without messing it up and possibly blocking the pipe with a wayward patch..

Which then requires a suitable cutter to remove the now cured, knackered patch, in order to have another try.

Let us know how you get on please. :)

Right but not worth £500. 10x500 = £5000 in a week! If 2 jobs a day. Even one is fine. I see why it seems to be firms doing it, not individuals. Sorry but it's overpriced but this time I am forced to pay because the location is not suitable for digging out. No choice. And that was the "probable" price!!

It's only a 2 foot curved pipe and looks like gone at the joint - I adapted my own camera I used for the car to look. Fits into washing machine pipe perfectly for easier control and as it's a very short length of pipe easy.

Obviously you would need a bit of practice first. Same for everything.

Alternative: cut out a length of the cast iron just above ground. should actually be able to see the joint from there! Patch it myself. Join pipe. Also might be easier for the patch repair that way. Of course no tradesman will try. But that's the fun of DIY. If it fails I haven't spent much. People on low incomes don't have spare £500s...that's for gas and electricity. :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back