toilet extractor fan in limited space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just a conservatory built onto the back of my house and part of the process was bricking up the window of my downstairs cloakroom so now need to fit an extractor fan.

the wiring isnt a problem as i have 2 electricians in the family! heres the problem:

as you walk into the toilet the wall to the right is the garage (cant vent into there). The back wall is my neighbours kitchen (pretty sure he wont want me venting into there) and the wall to the left is where the new conservatory is built!....there is a 3 inch gap between the conservatory and the neighbours boundary but all the vents i have seen are 4 inches!

I have seen rectangular ducting, would it be possible to fit this vertically rather than horizontally so it fits in the gap i have? or am i pretty much screwed?

Sponsored Links
Can you not extract into the garage then use flexi duct & put the vent on the nearest external wall, or even straight up through the garage roof. Or maybe extract into the void between the toilet ceiling and upstairs floor, then use duct to run with the floor joists to the neartest external wall.

Thanks for your suggestions but im affraid none of them would be an option in this case!

venting through the garage would require quite a length of ducting and im told a standard bathroom fan would struggle with the distance.....straight up through the garage roof isnt an option as would be into my sons bedroom.....through the roof space would have the same problem to the left it would hit the conservatory roof and to the right it would have to go the full length of the garage!

the gap is my only option really!

I have seen rectangular ducting, would it be possible to fit this vertically rather than horizontally so it fits in the gap i have?

Yes it would.

Rectangular duct is available with all manner of bends and converters from round (flexi hose) to rectangular. The bends for instance can be bought so that you can orientate the ducting each way.

system50-image.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back