Toilet extractor switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extractor fan in a small outside Toilet.
I want to connect it to the light switch so that fan operates and then runs on for a while after the light is switched off.
What do I search for please Kind regards Derek Miles.

Sponsored Links
I want to connect it to the light switch.... .

You will probably not connect it at the light switch.

The connections should be made at the place where the lighting feed, switch and lamp come together.

This will probably be at the light, or it could be at a junction box (somewhere). In rarer cases it may be at the switch.
You'll need to find that out as it will determine how the wiring is done.

There is a diagram on the WIKI on how to connect at the light (if you have loop-in wiring) see here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:fan

Sorry but i have got to ask the obvious question. Your post implies you already have a fan in place and its this one you want to run on.

Is it a fan with a timer ?

Sponsored Links
Some fans have a built in run-on timer, and some don't.

Fans with a timer usually have three terminals (+ Earth), and are connected with 3 core + earth cable.
Fans without only have 2 terminals (+Earth), and are wired with twin + earth cable.

A fan with a run-on timer can be wired without using the timer, using just 2 wires (+ earth).

You would need to add a timer (either purpose made for the fan, or a seperate external one) if your fan is not equipped with one.

The normal connections used for a timer are :-

Permanent Live
Switched live
Neutral
Earth.

All four are normally available from your lighting circuit, but where to find them depends on the circuit design.

You should include a 3 pole isolator in the feed to the fan for maintenance, unless you have plenty of natural light in the room or you like working in the dark.

This is the first time I have used DIYNOT and I am very pleased with the results. Many many thanks to all of you for giving me this information it will be well used.

Kindest regards Derek Miles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back