Toilet flushing and cistern advice....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys...
There is a problem with my toilet:
1) When I flush, the water doesn't come with force, it comes in huge amount, flooding the the pan and takes the waste.
But after a while, the pan water gains some colour and sometimes I've got some waste came back.

What would cause this retreat and what to do about it?

2) After I flush, the cistern takes so long to refill, when I opened the lid [the toilet is back-to-the-wall style] I found the water literally comes in drops and trickling!!

The picture below shows a system like mine and the water comes from the white peice above the blue cylinder.
I once heard there would be a filter/washer or something to clean. Could you please advise where that filter is and how to dismantle it and what should I ask B&Q when I want to buy that filter or a washer?

But all in all the whole equipments in the cistern are coverd with scale and they are a bit old.

How easy for not plumber to change the whole thing?

k2juqw.jpg

Sponsored Links
It sounds like two unrelated problems

If waste is flowing back into the pan after a flush there is something wrong with the soil pipe, either a partial blockage or badly laid out pipework with a negative fall.

For the cistern, check any service valves in the water supply are fully open. Quarter turn valves with a slotted head are fully open when the slot lines up with the pipe, ones with a handle are open when the handle lines up with the pipe

Check the float arm and the plunger pin projecting from the end of of the fill valve behind the float arm both move freely, if they don't, it can restrict the water flow.

Many would fit a Fluidmaster or Torbeck equilibrium valve in place of a conventional ballcock.

The usual problem with changing parts with a back-to-wall setup is access to the cistern.

It sounds like two unrelated problems

If waste is flowing back into the pan after a flush there is something wrong with the soil pipe, either a partial blockage or badly laid out pipework with a negative fall.

For the cistern, check any service valves in the water supply are fully open. Quarter turn valves with a slotted head are fully open when the slot lines up with the pipe, ones with a handle are open when the handle lines up with the pipe

Check the float arm and the plunger pin projecting from the end of of the fill valve behind the float arm both move freely, if they don't, it can restrict the water flow.

Many would fit a Fluidmaster or Torbeck equilibrium valve in place of a conventional ballcock.

The usual problem with changing parts with a back-to-wall setup is access to the cistern.

I opened removed and cleaned the Plastic Ballvalve
6ogzfa.jpg

but after i reinstalled it, the water kept coming in drops even when the float came to its maximum pressure on it.

so i'm thinking of buying a new one but i got a question...

can i install this instead of that?
jiz5ht.jpg

one more thing please, when i pull the flush, the syphon flushes only half of the cistern, what is the cause for that? and how to repair it? and can it be replaced by someone like me who know nothing about plumbing?

Sponsored Links
Only one brand to use for ballvalves - Fluidmaster!
Yup!

First you give us a picture of a bottom entry ball float valve, then you put up pictures of side entry. Not that it mastters too much in this case, but finding random pictures and posting them might lead to wrong answers to your questions.

Re the half flush, what is fitted in the cistern - syphon, flush valve or flapper valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back