Toilet has lost its power when flushing? how to fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My toilet has lost its power when flushing. I lifted the lid and pressed the blue button and wow it works like it use too, really powerful! however for some reason when I press the button ontop of the lid it does not appear to be reaching the button UNDER the lid for some reason anymore.

How can I fix it? is there a universal thing I can fit to replace the old one?

Sponsored Links
does it have two threaded plastic bolts on the underside of cistern lid ,they may just need adjusting and the lock nut tightening up.

Yes it does have two plastic stick looking things, looks like a lolipop stick. Didnt know they were bolts that could be tightened with a screw driver. I will have to have a closer look. Thanks.

take a pic and let's have a look. you don't use a screwdriver if its the type I think it is.

Sponsored Links
Yes I will take some pics of it. I was trying to find a youtube video on how to do what you mentioned, but couldnt find one. If you maybe could have a quick look to see if you can find a youtube video you probably would have more luck as I have no idea what type in to search.

I found this video

the toilet in this video is identical to mine.

that video shows many different types, if. yours is like the first one shown on there , its real easy to do. just turn the threaded bolts anti clockwise ,and they become longer , until they reach the flush valve .takes a bit of trial and error ,as you have to adjust it ,put lid back ,see if when you lightly press the button if it feels as though its touching underneath. take lid off ,adjust more ,try again ......and you have to do both threaded bolts ,independently of each other. as one controls the half flush ,the other the full flush. when the adjustment is correct ,the silver buttons on top should have no free play ,in other words as soon as you start to press you feel resistance. At that point you tighten the little nuts which lock the bolts in position.they are at the end of the threaded bolts ,where they meet the body.

https://ibb.co/e8wH0F
https://ibb.co/bHdVLF

Heres some pics. What I did was exactly what you said, those 2 plastic screws that are there, well I unscrewed them a little, maybe 4cm to make them a little longer and put the lid back down and presto, flushes powerful again!!!
Thanks so much for the advice!!! most appreciated!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back