Toilet not shutting off when filled back up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our toilet has a typical universal flush syphon. It has a thin blue cable going from the 2 flush buttons to the syphon.

We have to press the flush button a few times after it has flushed to get the syphon to close. Otherwise the toilet continues to fill and run into the over flow built into the toilet.

This is an issue with the syphon and i wondered how to sort this out ? Can i apply some lubricant somewhere ?

The toilet cistern is very thin and so i think the cable is squashed up a bit too tight in there when the lid is closed.

Sponsored Links
Cable snagging, you might want to change the siphon rod type.

If the valve keeps filling till it overflows then it's not the flush valve rather the fill valve. Unless you mean the flush stays open and so the fill valve just keeps running 'cause the cistern never fills enough to shut it off?

we press the flush button a few times and it then stops refilling.

Yes i suppose it may have to be the syphon where you have little rods instead of a cable.

Sponsored Links
Change the flush to one which does not have a cable as you will likely get the same problem. Came across this a while back where the siphon remained opened and water kept going through into the pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back