Toilet inlet leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First, apologies for the horrid picture, but I'm sure you've seen these before...
30wv6di.jpg

I've got a leak coming up through the threads of the white plastic bit, from the nut at the bottom (Fill valve shank??)

This has been OK for nearly 8 years, and I think the bathroom is older than that. Not sure exactly how long it's been leaking, but noticed a large puddle this evening.
Tried a very gentle tweak tightening on the nut, as well as taking it off and popping back on again which I suspect predictably made the issue worse....

I'm not entirely sure what I would need to do to fix this; I've seen some suggestions of fibre washers, and others of rubber cones, as well as PTFE tape on the threads.

There's also the suggestion of replacing the whole valve, which is a job I'd avoid doing DIY if at all possible.

I've isolated the water to this bathroom, so it's not a major issue, but I'm not sure exactly what needs replacing, and whether the age of the contraption means that it's easier to replace the whole thing?
The valve itself appears to be a ~£10 part, and I've seen mention of washers for pennies but I'm not entirely sure of the precise item I'm looking for??

Sponsored Links
The first requirement is for you to tell us what washer there was inside the nut.

There are two possibilities!

It usually usually be a tap connector with a flange which goes inside the plastic tube. That would usually have a thin reddish hard washer.

The other is a flat flange with a fibre washer although a rubber washer is far better with a plastic fitting like that!

Tony

The nut is on a soldered elbow, and has a flange which I think is probably wider than the bottom of the plastic pipe, rather than going inside the plastic one.
(I can't get the nut round the 90 degree bend so I can't measure it, but it certainly doesn't feel like it goes inside the plastic one)

I presume there are the remains of a washer somewhere in the nut, but I don't want to go poking at this hard without a complete plan, as I've also discovered the quarter turn valve passes slightly...

Well without knowing whats inside I cannot give you appropriate advice.

But a mirror works wonders for these tasks.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back