Toilet instal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet is on its last legs and urgently need to replace after having some further issues today.

I need to replace it tomorrow.

I’m inexperienced at this but I have once taken this toilet off and reattached it so I’m thinking I could fit a new one as that wasn’t difficult.

I know how to disconnect the water supply, isolate and take the waste off….I presume fitting a new one is similar…

The pan connector is offset slightly to the north…..provided the new toilet can accommodate….is there any chance I’m going to have to need pipework changed or the waste pipe modified or anything like that?

If it’s a case of taking one out and putting a new one on then I think I can do it. I’m worried about things like the water supply pipe being in the wrong place, too high or other side etc and needing a plumber…and we have a large household so we aren’t keen on driving to McDonald’s for the loo while we wait however many weeks for a plumber!

can anyone advise how I can do this or let me know if this job can be a ball ache or whether I am overthinking it?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It starts with careful measurement of old pan and then care when choosing new.
Always new pan connector as above.
If its a diy job and the cold inlet is in the wrong place, chop it off and use a flexi.

OP,
Why not post a pic of whats existing?

Presuming you have a conventional close coupled WC in mind as a replacement then:
1. as above, a new pan connector needed.
2. The standard pan spigot centre should be 190mm from floor. Likewise the soil pipe centre about the same or a bit lower.
3. If the soil pipe centre is too low - Offset connectors with offsets from 12mm to 40mm are available for low soil pipes.

4. The fill valve bottom feed hole is often on the left but some cisterns have the feed hole on the right or have a choice of two holes - one can be blanked off.
5. A short flexi is the best choice between the supply stub and the fill valve tail.
6. Fixings that are needed perhaps for the wall, and the floor might need further advice from here?
7. If you expose wall plaster collapse or floor water damage then come back here.
8. Consider a new WC seat and how to fix it?

What are the "further issues"?

Sponsored Links
there are different spigot outlet diameters which require the correct diameter pan connector.
Get a mcalpine-screwfix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back