Toilet Issue: Water leaking when flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Apologies if this is a very simple/quick fix problem.

Whenever I flush my toilet, water leaks from where the cistern sits on top of the basin. Please can anyone advise on what could be the cause?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the Do Nut washer is the problem,

C6041_420067_00

You will have to turn off the water remove cistern from wall, there will be two wing nuts holding the cistern to the back of the pan, there are different types of washer so take the old one to a supplier they will give you the right one.

While you have the cistern off the wall you could think about replacing the inlet valve system and the flush valve
I would suggest a Flapper valve system, you can get both units in a kit for about £25. from a DIY stockist

Have you been working on the cistern? Sounds like it needs a new donut washer http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Washers+&+Fixings/sd2703/Doughnut+CC+Kit+Washer/p39353 but check the wing nuts which connect the cistern to the pan are tightened up.

No, I have not done any work on the cistern. The toilet is in an ensuite that was used by my nephew for the past few months. The toilet has been there for about 4 years so I am guessing the washer needs replacing or he has moved the cistern out of place perhaps.

Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links

C6041_420067_00

You will have to turn off the water remove cistern from wall, there will be two wing nuts holding the cistern to the back of the pan, there are different types of washer so take the old one to a supplier they will give you the right one.

While you have the cistern off the wall you could think about replacing the inlet valve system and the flush valve
I would suggest a Flapper valve system, you can get both units in a kit for about £25. from a DIY stockist

Thank for you the reply and the advice.

I will look into the flapper valve system. What made you recommend this one? Any particular benefits over others?

C6041_420067_00

Thank for you the reply and the advice.

I will look into the flapper valve system. What made you recommend this one? Any particular benefits over others?

Basically no bits and pieces to go wrong, no need to remove cistern from pan to repair , if the chain breaks easy to repair, also easy replacement stopper valve
Flush is as short or long as one wants, either handle or button operated.

49303.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back