Toilet keeps filling up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Noticed a small leak under the toilet and found out it was inside the toilet.

Now not sure about what is what inside the cistern but have added a photo. I have tried lowering the ball valve so it stops the water on the small catch but looks like its not doing the job.

If i pull hard on the valve then the water stops.

Any ideas what is needed to fix this?

sXekPEbl.jpg

xg98Z6Tl.jpg

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The ball on the ball valve arm appears to be brushing against the cistern wall.

Where is the water that you noticed "under the toilet" coming from?

How is the cistern fixed to the wall?

Possible quick-fix.
Unscrew nut (red arrow) to end of thread.
Screw rod (green arrow) in towards valve.

This will lower the point that the valve shuts off. This will only fix the problem if it is the float catching the shell of the cistern that's causing the problem.

Easiest, cheapest possible fix. Worth a try.
View media item 64528

Sponsored Links
It looks like the 'stiffener' screw thingy needs screwing in towards the cistern wall to stop the valve from moving as the float rises.

Thanks for the replies.

Will respond post by post

Where is the inlet washer and inlet valve please?

The ball looks like its touching but was a few mm from the wall. Water was rising over the overflow and on the small circle which looks like sealant and its fixed by screws and sealant (looks like)

I have done was you suggested and goes now half way up the cistern and still water coming out but now drops and not flowing.

So has the ball thing that pushes on the button faulty?

You can control how high or low the water rises by adjusting the threaded rod and nut by the "red plastic bit" just as charnwood described above.

I still dont understand where you think the cistern is leaking from?

If you turn the water to the cistern off, you can then open the large white nut and remove and clean or replace whatever you find in there.

Or, if its worth it to you then replace the fill valve, siphon and overflow with Fluidmaster fill valve and flush valve(with an incorporated overflow).

google pics and diagrams of all the above bits and parts in the various toiletology sites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back