toilet leaks from the top of cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

what happens is that after a flush, the cistern fills rather violently and fast. Takes about 5 seconds to fill. Anyway, the lid of the cistern gets splash on from the bottom and then water rolls down it out on to the floor. Not a big deal (only about a tablespoon per flush) but it's annoying.

What should I do? I tried tightening the inlet water supply a bit but I am not sure this is the right solution. I can do it some more if that's the right way to go about it. Or, perhaps a can adjust something inside the cistern? It's looks like as in the picture.

Sponsored Links
If you have an isolation valve on the incoming mains to the cistern you could turn that down a little.

As above, or try angling the bit where the water comes out to stop it. Is it squirting out of a square bit of plastic ? If it is, dry it out and glue round the edges.

Sponsored Links
Does that Torbeck valve have the high pressure restrictor fitted?

(spiral thing in the valve inlet)

5 sec that is fast! Just turn it down if you do not have a valve fit one always good practice to be able to isolate a tap or cistern in case of a problem.

Not sure about that particular valve, but just possible it is set for a tank supply with a large bore restrictor and has been connected to the mains.

thanks all.

I had turned the isolator valve down before, but wasn't sure this was the right way to do it.

I will turn it down a bit more and see what happens.

yes, it's fills really quickly.

What is the cistern attached to, its not screwed to the wall and doesn't appear to have bolts attaching it to the pan at the base of the cistern, so have you invented an anti gravity device?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back