Toilet output pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my toilet. The lead output pipe has a flanged opening - see photo. The flange is too big for a standard pan connector while the main body of the pipe is too small. Also the flange is not very deep, about 25mm. I may replace the pipe at some point but it will be a big job (2ft thick millstone grit wall and will probably need a core drill to widen the existing hole a little) so I don't want to even consider it until the weather gets warmer. So in the meantime I'm wondering if I could just pack lots of sealant around the pan connector, and maybe wrap some sort of waterproof lagging round the outside of the joint. Does this sound reasonable, and what could I use for the lagging?

Many thanks for suggestions.
Alan

Hutch2117.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it cast iron rather than lead.

Would be worth trying one of these

Blup

Reactions: CBW
Is it cast iron rather than lead.

Would be worth trying one of these

Blup

The pipe itself must be lead because it has a bend in it outside the wall, but I did wonder if the flange was cast iron. Unfortunately I've put the old toilet back for the moment so I can't check it.

As for the McAlpine socket you mentioned, it says it has a finned connector to a 110mm pipe, but isn't that exactly what a standard pan connector has? And as I said, that's too small for the flange and too big for the pipe.

Alan

Spray it with silicone sealant and you will be surprised what can be squeezed in.

Blup

Sponsored Links
The pipe itself must be lead because it has a bend in it outside the wall, but I did wonder if the flange was cast iron. Unfortunately I've put the old toilet back for the moment so I can't check it.

Try a magnet on it, it will stick to cast-iron, but not to lead.

Could be 3½" instead of a 4" pipe which was common for WC final pipework. Most manufacturers make the smaller size. You can also get 3" connectors.

It's lead with a brass "thimble" on the end. AS denso says .... look at multiquick connectors ( and others)

Reactions: CBW
Many thanks for the replies. The pipe does indeed appear to be 3.5". I wasn't aware of that size - I had it in my head that old lead pipes were 4". I need a short extension from the pan to the outlet and I was originally planning to use a rigid extender cut to the required length. I'm thinking now about using a McAlpine flexible connector with 3.5" outlet.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back