Toilet over flow is not connected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just noticed that the toilet over flow is not connected to anything ie ,if it overflows it just goes straight onto bathroom floor, dont know why i just noticed it. What is the best way to resolve this .the overflow pipe is on the bottom lhs

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Some systems have a built-in overflow, which discharge into the flush pipe (the pipe from cistern to pan), others have an overflow which goes out through a wall, some have a similar system to that, except - rather than going out through the wall, a separate pipe takes it down and into the pan.

Mine has belt and braces. It already had the pipe out through the wall, but I replaced the syphon with a new one. the new one has a built in overflow.

Hi all i think the only oveflow is on the botton lhs, cant see anthing going into the flush pipe as per photo

Attachments

• 20190707_082900.jpg
    20190707_082900.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
There are some where you dont see any tube to pan its done internal to the flush workings.
You can test by placing bucket under the bottom overflow pipe and fill flush to overflowing to see if anything comes out, if it doesnt then theres nothing to worry about

Last edited:
Has it actually over flowed onto the bathroom floor?

Depending on the syphon, there might be no obvious signs of the syphon having a built in overflow. The easy way to check, is to force it to deliberately overflow. Hold the float on the fill valve down, so it over fills, but not to the point where it begins to spill out. It should be obvious then if an overflow is fitted or not. A quick press of the flush will drop the water level quickly.

Hi all thank you for replies i forced it to over flow and that water came out of the pipe on the lhs

Hi all thank you for replies i forced it to over flow and that water came out of the pipe on the lhs
Fit a new syphon to one that discharges the overflow into the pan, then block up the existing overflow.

Theres a chance that you have such a syphon but its overflow outlet is higher than your overflow pipe...........

Yes it’s seems that it will probably have an internal overflow syphon, but probably a tall one (eg 9&1/2”), you probably need an 8” one. You can also get an overflow stopper to prevent this leaking water again.

As a test, shove in a cork, but still place a bucket under the overflow.
Then either push down the ballcock or add water from a jug and see what happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back