Toilet Overflow Problem - Constant water trickle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week we noticed that one of our toilets was trickling after flushing. I've had this on the other two toilets in the house - on those in the past I've just had to adjust the mechanism on the left - the bit that shuts the water off when the water level gets to the overflow pipe.

This time though that's not doing the trick - it's adjusted to the maximum that it will allow. Unfortunately the water level still gets to the overflow pipe and causes the constant trickle.

The black buoy part is right at the top and *should* be cutting off the water but it isn't. When this gets to the top you can hear I guest what I'd call a hissing which presumably is water still coming through?

What would you guys recommend in a situation like this? I've put a photo of the toilet below.

Thanks in advance.

View media item 57869

Sponsored Links
The black cap on the top of the fill valve can be prised off. The arm mechanism then can be removed (needs about an eighth of a turn). This exposes the washer which may need replacing or just cleaning.

Don't forget to turn the water off first.

Cheers. In terms of turning the water off first, is it enough to just have the cut off screw supplying water to the toilet turned off? I presume it is. There's still an inch or two of water in the bottom of the unit after flushing.

Is it a particular name of washer that may be needed?

We had dozens of Fluidmaster fill-valves returned as 'faulty' by 'people' too idle to read the instructions and flush through as instructed.

12, 13, 14:
clip_image002_0000.gif

Sponsored Links
The valve is a fluidmaster. You may find a washer in your local diy shed or a plumbers merchant should be able to supply you with one.

Yes, turning off at the isolating valve is sufficient and the couple of inches of water in the bottom after flushing is normal.

Fluidmaster Multi-Pressure Washer, IF it still needs replacing after cleaning/flushing through.

Done it. Got the flat washer thing out which was all gunked up and gave it a thorough clean. The washer itself wasn't worn or anything - looked as good as new once cleaned up.

Re-fitted everything and flushes like a dream.

Thanks very much for all your help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back