Toilet pan floor fittings correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a back to the wall toilet about a year ago and have now decided to install it!

I have tried the floor fittings (can't remember if I purchased them separately or came with the pan itself) but because the brackets are angled, the screw doesn't reach the bracket.

These brackets are standard so I'm wondering if my pan is different where the brackets need to be at a 90 degree angle instead.

Are they supposed to bend significantly?

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
they do bend.they should be spaced apart ,left to right , so they are touching the inside walls of the WC pan..you either have them in the wrong positions ,or have the wrong screws .

Thanks for your reply.
Either I'm being totally thick (very possible) or the inside of my pan goes against the norm. I've looked on YouTube to see how it all fits.
With the bracket flat on the floor, I'd say the part of the bracket that's supposed to touch the pan bends about 40 degrees away instead.
If they're supposed to bend that much away from the pan then fine, I'll have to buy longer screws to reach the brackets.
Just hope they don't snap!
Thanks again.

If they do snap then glue 2 lengths of 2"x3" wood to the floor.

Sponsored Links
they do snap actually , so I warm them up a bit. you are right they are at an angle , away from the pan ,but they do work by applying a downward force when screwing them up. you MUST have the plastic bush in place ( what the screw goes thru and fits in the hole of the pan ) ,or you may crack the pan.

They are meant to be angled, they are a universal fitting and many pans have different internal structures. It allows for a little play when putting the pan down once they are screwed to the floor. The side screws should easily be long enough to catch one of the holes if your measurements and placing is correct.

Are you Shure that your pan needs these fixings ? or is it meant to screw in straight into the floor not all pans require these angled fixings.

Thanks again for all your help again.

I've been meaning to take a picture of the issue so you will see what I mean but I've already temporarily plumbed in the system and don't want to keep removing it.

The pan is supposed to be fixed that way, I can't see how it would be secured any other way. The screws are about 55mm long but if I get 70mm ones then that should reach. I just hope the brackets won't snap when they get pulled all the way back to the pan whilst screwing them!

As 'just pumps' advised, I'll have some batten ready in case it fails.

I'll upload a picture of them just before I secure them and then we'll find out if I am just being thick!

Thanks.

They don't need to be tightened to the point that they bend and snap, just until the pan is secure and doesn't move.

Well this is it with the screws that came with. They don't reach and I couldn't put my hand round the back to press it towards the screw either. I've used longer ones.

x.jpg

The trouble is, I've really had to screw them right up to the pan and yet the pan isn't 'completely' secure. I can still lift it slightly with a bit of persuasion. Is that normal?
Maybe I should have just used some batten!

Did you use the m6 bolts and plugs (if needed) to lock the bracket to the floor, couple of washers too? You need longer screws to go through the side of the pan and you should have to tighten them 'just enough'. If the brackets are tight to the floor and the toilet's base cast is square to the floor then there should be little/no movement. If the pan isn't tight to the floor and rocks a little then silicone will probably be needed.

Thanks.

It's secured to the floor using wood screws since the flooring are vinyl planks and underneath are floorboards. I can see that the part of the brackets stuck to floor not moving at all but the angle part of the bracket seems to be lif up slightly with a fair bit of pressure. The more I tightened the screw on the pan, the less movement there is but the brackets now seem to be at a 100 degree angle - hope they won't snap.

I guess it's good enough but it just seems to have not done what it's supposed to. I really don't want to put any silicone down as it looks really nice without it and the floor is watertight anyway. I'll see how it goes!

Thanks again guys, really appreaciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back