Toilet problem after water supply turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night the water board turned off the water for several hours in the area I live and replaced an underground water main due to it leaking. Since then my toilet has been making a very loud banging noise just as the cistern stops filling up. I can only describe this as being like a firework going off in the toilet tank. Furthermore the water in the tank is filthy once it has filled up a dirty off white colour that does seem to clear after letting it sit for a few mins.

The problem is clearly an issue with the toilet as running other taps no problem can be noticed and the water seems normal looking. I am wondering if somehow some grit or dirt is in part of the toilet pipework following the work done in the street. I actually live on the road the work was done on.

I thought it could be a water pressure or water hammer issue after doing some google searches today but seems a strange coincidence its happened after all the work was done. Anyone got any ideas how to try and resolve this issue or what to look for, where would grit or dirt have gone into the pipe work.

Sponsored Links
Red inserts in Part2 or 3 float valves are for low pressure ( gravity) supplies!

Quite often when mains supplies are disrupted, particles of grit etc can find their way into the house and cause the symptoms you describe.

Failing that, you may have a Torbeck valve that has come to the end of it's (now) short life.

Sponsored Links
Red inserts in Part2 or 3 float valves are for low pressure ( gravity) supplies!

Quite often when mains supplies are disrupted, particles of grit etc can find their way into the house and cause the symptoms you describe.

Failing that, you may have a Torbeck valve that has come to the end of it's (now) short life.

+1

Red is for tank fed and white is for high pressure.

While you are working on it, turn the water back on for a minute or so, and let the water gush out from the open pipe to wash away grit, rust or scale that (sounds like) is in the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back