Toilet problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am refitting bathroom (as you may well know due to increase in posts :oops: ), and you could pretty well say say that i am not just hitting every hurdle, i'm going the full 12 rounds with each :LOL:

Anyway, fitting toilet. The toilet i removed was raised on a piece of wood. It was fixed to floor boards with carpet in bathroom. The replacment toilet will be on laminate flooring with underlay etc. I have a few worries, which are:

1) Will toilet be high enough for waste pipe
2) Can waste pipe connect to toilet without too much distance from wall (as i would prefer for cistern to fix to wall and not need boxing in/pieve of wood!

As you will see from picture, the cast waste pipe is huge compared to 'modern' pipes. In the pictures my new toilet has a offset connector attached.

My questions are:

1) Do i need to raise floor slightly (reducing hight of waste is not an option - i know it should be, but its not)?

2) How do i connect toilet - my current plan is a reducer and offset connector. If this is ok, any ideas on length a reducer adds on to distance from wall? The fitting ive seen in screwfix cat looks about 1 1/2", but cant be certain till i have tried.

Any help much appreciated.

Ste

Sponsored Links
you have 2 choices.
1 raise toilet.
2 alter soil stack outside to lower incoming pipe to wc.
otherewise you will flushing 24/7

thinking of reduce size of soil pipe, used with the off set connector. Assuming i can get a soil pipe reducer???

i may still need to raise floor as well, which i was thinking of doing by laying thicker underlay to laminate flooring.....

Any thoughts?

Cheers for reply!

PS - can off sets be used in the way i plan? or should they be used to off set from side to side, not up and down ( iguess down would be fine, up is my real question here :LOL: )

You might have another issue here.....internal diameter of cast is around 3-3.5 inches.....your pan connector is currently only fitting because it is settled in a cast joint, a joint used to join 2 peices of cast together, this was then sealed with rope tar and or cement. If you look at the state of this knuckle it is badly corroded......you might not seal it. I think you can get (from draincenter) a pan connector designed to fit into the normal width pipe but that would mean grinding off the collar.....or using a fernco coupler to take you to meteric......just a heads up for you

Sponsored Links
Cut the collar off the soil pipe with a small angle grinder, in a series of cuts, which only takes a few minutes:
Cutingasoilpipe2-1.jpg

Then you can push your pan connector into the pipe more easily. You can go up a little, but not much. Obviously if you go up 20mm you'll reduce the effective size 20mm when the puddle you've made "fills".

To make a plinth use your wobbly bottom on your jigsaw to match the angle. Once filled and gloss painted it doesn't look too bad.

Cutpansupport.gif

There are flexable pan connectors out there with 4” - 3½” End Spigot adaptors.

I've used them when replacing the old Sypnonic WC Suites with Modern WCs, Just can't remember who made them.

For those who have not come across old Sypnonic WC Suites, their outlet was 2" or 3" below todays WC Pans.

thank you all so much for taking the time to help, and in so much detail.

What i have done is cracked on with the rest of the bathroom and turned a blind eye to this nightmare of a toilet. I have a plan B which is new soil stack. I am pretty much ready to tackle this connect by the weekend, ill make a few attempts taking on board your comments.

If all else fails, call a plumber and get a new soil pipe installed! Soil pipe is obvisouly cast so will be a biggish jobbie (no pun intended) so i hope i can aviod this - but quite frankly, im fed up of stressing over my toilet :)

Ill keep you all posted.

Many thanks again for replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back