Toilet refilling slowly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help? We have a toilet that refills extremely slowly after it has been flushed. I have attached an image of how things look, basically it seems that if I slightly adjust the little nut shown in the image one way then the toilet will keep filling to the point of overflowing, and if I slightly adjust it the other way it never fills to where it should be.

Wondering if there was any advice?
WP_20150615_23_05_32_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need a new float valve (or you could try replacing the washer, but replacements never seem to last very long). Go to Screwfix and get one of these

Hi,

Thanks for that. So basically does that replace the ballcock/tap bit that is at the back of the picture, while the blue flusher bit stays?

Thanks,

D

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have grit in the filler valve, if work has been done to the water main down the road grit can travel up the pipework and block the valve,
Modernise the system with the fluidmaster. While you are about it why not change the Flush valve to a flapper valve, grit can damage the plastic diaphragm

OK, thanks for this. Think I might try the Fluidmaster bit first, my DIY skills are limited so don't want to push my luck :). Out of interest (and may be showing real lack of knowledge here) if the Fluidmaster part is replacing the current ballcock/tap, where does he water come out to fill the toilet up?

OK, thanks for this. Think I might try the Fluidmaster bit first, my DIY skills are limited so don't want to push my luck :). Out of interest (and may be showing real lack of knowledge here) if the Fluidmaster part is replacing the current ballcock/tap, where does he water come out to fill the toilet up?
It comes out of the base of the valve, which has the great advantage of removing much of the filling noise

Sorry, it seemed to get worse over time.

OK, I finally got the parts that I required and decided to do the work this evening. Turned the water off to the toilet, gave it a flush and discovered that it doesn't completely empty, it leaves about 2 inches of water. Wondering if anyone had any bright ideas on how to get rid of this water? There is bugger all room to maneuver which doesn't help.

Ta.

D

Jesus, I think i was over thinking possible solutions. Of course, a sponge :)

Thanks,

D

Arrgh, how can something that seems so easy end up being so difficult. So, managed to get rid of all the water but now stuck getting one of the nuts off. I have attached an image, it is the white plastic one. It is right underneath the cistern and right at the back so is difficult to get any tools onto it and won't twist just using my hand.

Cheers,

D

Attachments

• WP_20150712_20_57_27_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20150712_20_57_27_Pro[1].jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 125
leave the plastic nut and undo the metal one. If the spigot turns, hold whatever it is inside the cistern.

You will then be able to slide a ring-spanner up the plastic spigot to do the plastic nut.

Hi,

Thanks for this. I have undone the metal nut but weirdly the plastic tube doesn't come out, it seems to go down further than where the metal nut will undo to (if that makes sense?).

Thanks,

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back