Toilet Seat Issue!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I need to replace a toilet seat. Normally I'd do it by unscrewing the nylon thumb-nuts underneath. However, this toilet-seat was fitted by a bathroom-fitter. Instead of a nylon nut, it has a thick, perfectly smooth black rubber lump/ring. Like a big, fat rounded washer. I can't get a grip on them with pliers or a wrench - they're too smooth and squidgy! Anybody seen them before?? I really need to get this seat off - it's hideous!
Thanks xxx

Sponsored Links
It may be top fixed, with the top fixing hidden under some trim. Why not put up a couple of photos one below one above - If you are brave enough :)

I never thought I'd upload photos like this anywhere... Yuk!!!

I remember an Ikea toilet seat we had - you had to attach these little sticky-up bits to the pan, and then lower the seat onto the 'sticks' until it clicked. If this is the same thing, mightn't grabbing the seat and pulling it up really hard work (so I can access the screw-heads)?

I never thought I'd upload photos like this anywhere... Yuk!!!

I remember an Ikea toilet seat we had - you had to attach these little sticky-up bits to the pan, and then lower the seat onto the 'sticks' until it clicked. If this is the same thing, mightn't grabbing the seat and pulling it up really hard work (so I can access the screw-heads)?

If you do that, you could end breaking the Pan. So don't do it.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the expanding rubber anchors on the bottom side, so it should be top fixed.

Yes you need to pull from the top, but try it a little bit each side to see if you can work it off. The chrome cover plates should then just lift off over the exposed pins to reveal the top fixing head into the rubber anchor below.

Care and avoidance of excessive force is the key to pulling it off. Look hard in case there are any other fixings on top such a small holes where a grub screw might need to be undone with an allen key. There are simply so many variations on the theme! - I don't recognise yours specifically.

Edit - check those chrome end caps on the hinge line, they may hide a fixing securing the top to the pins

I've done it! There's a chrome circle on the outside of each hinge. You press them in, and it releases the seat from the "sticky-up bits" so I can now remove the covers and access the screws. It *was* a bit cryptic. Thanks xxx
(Gonna give it all a good clean now, btw!)

Bl**dy modern Toilet seat fittings, once upon a time they were just simple and straightforward, No troubles,
these days they are designer items, that never work properly,

I find when I Fit a toilet seat , within a few days it works loose and the seat and lid move about over the pan :evil:

Mine is wobbling from the start - I think they're badly designed. Or maybe it's my own fault for buying cheap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back