Toilet Smells

S

shelaghb

Can anyway give advice on my problem. There is a light 'toilet' smell coming from the pan of my toilet. The water levels are all as they should be and it appears to be flushing normally. There is no gurgling when flushed and there is no signs of any leakage, and as I said it does actually seems to be coming from inside the pan itself.

Sponsored Links
At least it doesn't smell of garlic... ;)

Have you checked for leaks around the back.

When you say "smell" do you mean an amonia type smell or a smell of cack?

If the former; quiz any male residents and ask them if they need some target practice. Advise any taler emembers of the family to kneel.

I shan't be rude by asking when it was last cleaned...

Hello Dan, you have helped me before with a tap issue. No it is a sewerage smell. No males in the house during the week, as he works away, so can't blame this one on him. It is thoroughly cleaned every week and toilet cleaner put down every other day, so its not that. But it does actually seem as if it is coming from the clear water that lies in the bottom of the pan - although this is alway clear. It has only started this week, but yesterday was hardly there at all. Can smells from the manhole come back into the pan itself.

The very purpose of the pan is to hold water so that smells don't come back from the drains.

The only other thing I can think of is the possibility of smells backing up from overlfow - if someone has linked it with the soil stack... Unlikely though.

I assume the loo is being used regulary? Harpic use to do a brilliant bleach product that you squirted under the rum... Can't remember what it was called though...

Sponsored Links
The one I use is that type, where you squirt it under the rim - and yes, it is used regularly. I'll check around the back properly for any leaks, as maybe I think it coming from the pan, when in fact its elsewhere, and get back to you if I find anything. Thank you

This was an unusual one - if was a limescale remover as well; which whilst not relevant to you, I used on a loo in a flat I used to rent.

This was really nasty and smelt even after a thorough cleaning. I used this Harpic stuff and after a while it got rid of the problems. This was after trying all sorts.

It is not something I have seen very often though; which is a shame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back