Toilet Squawk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a couple of months now the downstairs toilet has produced a squawky/farty noise a second after being flushed. It seems to come more from the wall next to it than the actual cistern, and it can actually sound louder in other rooms of the house. It doesn't do it every single time, and varies from a tiny squeak to a heart-attack inducing howl. Being a little short of money at the time, we have mostly just used the one upstairs for a while. Yesterday the upstairs one joined in ever so slightly, which is worrying. Could it be air in the pipes, and is there a DIY way to get rid of it? The house is only 5 years old, and no work was carried out before this started.

Sponsored Links
Thats wierd, never heard of that before,

Is it coming from inside the cistern if you take off the lid when you flush it?

Can you follow the pipes back and keep flushing it and see where it is loudest in the pipes?

Could it be a leaky joint thats sucking air in?

Could be a sign of improper ventilation of the pipes?

Sometimes a bit of wear in the float valve can let the innards rattle about a bit. The 'rattle' can get amplified by the pipework, and, in extreme cases, kicks up a racket a foghorn would be proud of.

Replacing or re-washering the float valve will usually cure it.

Sponsored Links
Please dont take my words as anything but a suggestion as I am by no means qualified.

I had what sounds like exactly the same problem in an en-suite toilet. A second or so after flushing there was an awful howl running through the pipework. At first it happened every now and then but eventually everytime the loo was flushed.

I took the lid off and could feel the vibration coming from the float valve. Took it apart and cleaned all the scale away paying special attention to the almost solid rubber valve. Put it all back together and now silent! Even fills a lot quicker than it did before.

Hope that helps?
Warren

Thanks guys-I think it is the float valve because I've just tried holding it up a bit as it flushes and you can get it to squawk-fart on demand! I suppose the fact that they're both showing signs of going after a mere 5 years, which made me think it was something more complicated, is because the housebuilder used the cheapest, crappiest fittings they could find...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back