toilet struggles flushing

Thanks is a newly installed toilet so should the diaphragm be ok could it be a faulty one?

Does it do a sort of short flush if you release the handle straight away?

The thing is todays WC's are dual flush. So a lever version gives a short flush with one push and a full flush if held down. If that is what you have it is normal.

My bad for assuming you had an old low level WC that had started to need the handle held down when previously a single push gave a full flush
Its a modern low level toilet with syphon are these usually dual flush like you said?

Sponsored Links
Its a modern low level toilet with syphon are these usually dual flush like you said?

Yes, even the replacements I pointed to are. However single flush are still supplied as well. To help identify what you have note the following cut and pasted from the regulations

(d) no flushing device installed for use with a WC pan shall give a single flush exceeding 6 litres.

(e)no flushing device designed to give flushes of different volumes shall have a lesser flush exceeding two-thirds of the largest flush volume.

So while a short flush is less, it should be less than two thirds of the main flush. And is usually half

Edit: in view of Charnwoods comments I googled low level WC's and found of six I looked at, four were clearly identified as dual flush and two were silent on that part of the specification. If you can identify the make you have you might be able to look it up

Interesting in the regs is that if a cistern is single flush you are not allowed to replace the cistern with a dual flush. It does not mention the syphon specifically but I think this is to ensure that older pan designs don't end up with an unsuitable flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back