Toilet trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The toilet cistern in the photo continues to drain after flushing. Water flowing in just flows straight out of the bottom. If I push down on the blue plunger in the middle of the white housing in the centre of the photo it stops emptying and fills normally until the next time you flush. I'm guessing the mechanism just needs lubricating somewhere to get it to work properly again but can't see where. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get it working again? Do I just have to but a new flush assembly or can this one be sorted out?

2015-05-07%2016.08.55.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is probably just the cable not sliding through the sleeve in which case a spray of silicone lubricant usually does the trick. Alternatively it could be scale build up on the plunger section of the flush valve. From memory, if you twist the top section of the valve anti-clockwise then it will release from the cradle and you can give it a clean - this assumes that the cradle has been properly fitted to the cistern and doesn't loosen when you twist the valve assembly (if it is loose then there is a chance of the cistern leaking)

Thanks newboy. Will get a look at that. Does the housing at the end of the cable just twist off somehow to enable me to spray lube inside the cable outer? Do I need to use silicone stuff or would WD40/ACF 50 do the same job? I have both of those but no silicone.

If I need to twist the valve I'll empty the cistern first to minimise any possible leakage. I didn't fit the valve so have no idea whether it was fitted properly. The house is empty just now and being readied for renting out. I'll be there on Saturday so will get a look at it then. Thanks.

If you're renting it out then change the whole valve assembly - otherwise it will be an emergency call when your tenants have moved in and can't flush the toilet - much easier to do the job in an empty bathroom.

Sponsored Links
It's not that old, maybe 7 years. I'd have thought it'd have a good few years use left in it yet and maybe a bit of lube would keep it working but I take your point re emergency call outs. I guess the expense of a new cistern valve every 5 years is preferable to paying a plumber to come out at 3am.

It's not that old, maybe 7 years. I'd have thought it'd have a good few years use left in it yet and maybe a bit of lube would keep it working but I take your point re emergency call outs. I guess the expense of a new cistern valve every 5 years is preferable to paying a plumber to come out at 3am.
7 years for a modern valve is good going.

7 Years for a modern flush valve.

Makes you think about progress - recently went to a job where a bell cistern had failed. The flush lever had sheared and wouldn't lift the bell. The cistern was probably around 85 years old and had failed once. Life expectancy of a new flush valve?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back