Toilet trouble!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
Wondered if anyone can help with a little toilet problem I'm having please? I'm refitting the bathroom - so far everything has been going great! Came to fit the toilet and i was pretty chuffed with how well it all came together. It's a close couple back to Wall toilet, so naturally I got flexible waste/connectors to test for leaks before fitting to the wall. I was feeling great after a few flushes - no leaks in sight! Then came the puddle on the floor :( it appears to be coming out of (what I assume is) the hole underneath from manufacturing the pan. Initially i thought it's a faulty pan and there must be a crack somewhere inside where the water is released into the bowl, and it's running down internally (i looked before fitting and couldn't see anything). But now i notice the cistern is slowly draining. I can't find water anywhere else except the hole at the bottom of the pan, but could it be possible that it's leaking somewhere in the cistern and running down the pan internally via a route the water wouldn't usually take..? There's no leak i can see from the fixing nuts, inlet or around the doughnut.
I suspect I'll be ordering a new pan, but thought I'd check whether I'm missing anything obvious before making that expensive decision! Thanks for reading - sorry for lengthy post and numerous toilet puns! ;)
For info, it's and ideal standard concept toilet - pic attached
DSC_0175.JPG

Sponsored Links
Check seal between syphon/cistern...I would take a guess you also have a leak @ pan connector.
Easy this plumbing game ain't it...everyone's a plumber...:ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately not everyone's a plumber, otherwise hubby, or even the "plumber" we had to fit our other bathroom, would be able to do it instead! :cautious:
Thank you though, I did wonder about the pan connector, but no evidence of leaks... Just going to have to disconnect it all and inspect tomorrow (y)

time to take it apart again i guess , are you still feeling great :LOL:

sometimes the pan outlet is not manufactured properly and the pan connector is not making a seal .

I can't find water anywhere else except the hole at the bottom of the pan

which hole are you on about ? is water running into pan when not flushing if so check the syphon isn't stuck down somehow or syphon jammed on cistern wall when installed or water level in cistern over flowing into pan

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's a seemingly useless hole with no purpose other than to drive me mad! :LOL: it does nothing, I assume it's just part of manufacturing as it's back to wall- it only leads to area between outside of toilet and the bowl/trap etc if you know what I mean..? There's an identical one on the other side at the front which isn't leaking o_O
And nope, great feeling is all gone! But there's beer in the fridge to solve that one! ;)

The holes are for right angled plastic brackets to hold the pan - as if the weight wasn't enough:whistle: A chrome capped screw goes into the bracket and is seen from outside.

Can you post photos of the holes you are talking about? Sometimes you see these on vitreous china and they are part of the casting process. I have had a couple of these leak in the past and it turned out to be a manufacturing defect and was replaced under warranty - I had to argue that there was no way of me noticing these defects until the pan was installed and tested under full working conditions - supplier and manufacturers conceded this point and swapped them over so they could identify the fault in their manufacturing process.

I thought the same nige- especially with the cistern fixed to the wall I'm pretty sure it's sturdy enough! It's not those holes though, the problem hole is underneath, I think it is from casting.
Frustratingly we got it reduced (end of line) from b&q ages ago (renovations taken a while) and they no longer sell them, so the only hope is going back to Ideal Standard. I suspect it's a fault too, going to have a hard time getting it replaced though :(
Starting taking it apart again shortly, I'll post a pic...

I would still approach ideal standard and explain the delay in install... A nice email sometimes works wonders ;)

Will do thank you :)
Taken it apart, no signs anywhere of cracks. I think it is where the water is released and it's all concealed so i can't see (and a separate issue of cistern needs some attention to stop the slow release). That would explain the constant dripping from the hole if the cistern is leaking and the fault is where the water is released in the pan. Cistern isn't a problem, I can sort that - back to Ideal Standard i guess, fingers crossed! These pans aren't cheap :confused:
Doing some testing with it on the garden, but I think we now know the problem...
Thanks again :)
DSC_0176.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back