Toilet waste pipe sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. So I've moved into a property and a month later I've realized that the toilet waste pipe has been leaking a very very small amount each time its flushed. The only reason thas has been picked up is because we put toilet ball thing inside and the colored water was then spotted on the floor! Ew!!

So I've ordered the part that needs changing looks like it's just the soil waste pipe seal that is worn out. My question is however, do I need to put any kind of silicone sealant on the rubber seal that connects to the toilet (or anywhere else?) or should it just "push fit" in both ends and jobs done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pan connector should fit onto pan outlet dry ,or a little water.
The multifin end going into soil pipe can be lubricated with a little water mixed with washing up liquid

I've read those blue round things that you can put in your cistern can attack the rubber parts in there.

Sponsored Links
I've read those blue round things that you can put in your cistern can attack the rubber parts in there.
Best to not put anything other than water into the cistern, people put bleach in ,blue things and pink things that colour the water. I am expecting to see a goldfish at some point !!

I wanted to keep my toilet clean and it's not a water-colouring thing that's just some part of it, it's meant to keep things clean. But I was not aware they can damage things?? :eek: I will have to do some research on that I've been doing it for years :eek:

Most modern cisterns have a warning on installation instructions saying nothing but water in the cistern as the seals will be damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back