Toilet Waste Soil Pipe Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently fitting a new bathroom suite. I have a problem with connecting the toilet soil pipe. I have moved the toilet and now wish to connect it opposite another toilet.

This would mean two toilets connected back to back into one pipe, which in turn is connected to the downpipe.
Will I have problems when I flush either toilet? I am worried about the water going straight across the junction.

Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Cant see this being a problem, double branch fittings are available for this purpose. The flow from each toilet would have to clear the 100mm dia void of the stack before it could enter the opposite branch. Gravity will take over beforehand I think!

Thanks for the reply. I am probably being thick but, it sounds like you are talking about the vertical pipe? What I am saying is two toilets feeding back to back into a horizontal pipe which then connects to the vertical pipe. Are you saying that this is ok if the two toilets are offset by 100mm?

I was assuming vertical yes, sorry. A series of pans can be cojoined by means of a manifold on a horizontal run when they are side by side, i.e. toilet facilities in a commercial building. If they are opposite and offset, with correct fall on "horizontal" section I dont think it would be a problem. Waste would have to travel uphill and against the sweep of the lower T to enter the second pan.

Someone may be able to offer better advice if im wrong though.

Sponsored Links
Hugh, I think you've entirely misunderstood what brianh28 is asking.

brianh28, please could you state your intention by describing the fittings that you're thinking of using to make this back-to-back connection, then we can tell you whether or not that would be acceptable and functional.

Softus, Thanks for the reply.

I have seen a double branch connector, this would create a T junction if I cap off the top. But I'm not sure this is the best way.

I am looking for something like this:
http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_2282.html
I think this would be the best bet. Do you know if they make one for 100mm waste pipe? if so what is it called?

Thanks Brian

I've never seen a fitting like that for a soil pipe, and I guess the reason is that it doesn't provide for a vent.

This means that you'd be unwise to attempt such a thing. Sorry.

Yes they do make those in 110mm soil. Known as a double branch also. (I have a couple in my garage i acquired, though goodness knows why!) Whether or not it would be practical or permissible though in a horizontal plane though is beyond my remit.

Hopefully Softus will be able to advise.

Yes I'm aware of, and have used, double branch connections, but they look like this:

doublebranch92triplesocketw.gif

i.e. they have a vertical socket for upwards continuation of the soil/vent pipe, whereas that stainless/aluminium garden thing has no vertical socket.

Or have I misunderstood?

Firstly, my apologies Softus, I was writing as you posted. Then I got sidetracked and ive only just found your posts.

I was hoping Brian was using the steel/ali fitting in his pic as an example of the type of fitting he was looking for and wasn't intending to try and fit that to his soil pipe!

Your picture Softus, is exactly what I was referring to. Im not sure if that fitting would be acceptable to use in the scenario Brian is hoping to achieve, and was hoping you would be able to advise. I would be interested to know for future reference, thanks.

Hugh,

I was hoping Brian was using the steel/ali fitting in his pic as an example of the type of fitting he was looking for and wasn't intending to try and fit that to his soil pipe!

Yes I was using this as an example and No I am not intending to fit it.

Softus,

Can I use the double branch connector on the horizontal plane? and bung the top?

I was pretty sure you were using that as an example Brian!

It never ceases to amaze though what some people will try to cobble together for soil and waste runs! I am interested to know what the situation would be with your proposed set up, should I ever be asked to fit or look at something similar.

Having looked on various websites I think I have found the answer to whether or not I can use a double branch connector on the horizontal plane. NO

See the link below containing the magic words "Vertical Use Only"

http://www.gwsupplies.co.uk/p/694/solvent+pipe+double+branch.htm

I personally don't see what the problem would be in my particular application!

If anyone has tried this or can offer further advice please reply.

No apology needed Huge. My mistake was to fail to notice the orientation of brianh28's intended usage.

Basically, I don't believe there's a problem in using the BS490 in the horizontal position, as long as the branches are also horizontal.

However, capping off the top part is a no-no - it should be connected to a vertical run and carried up to a roof vent, unless the BCO says that you can reduce the height and use an AAV.

Thats interesting to know Softus, thankyou. I understand why the arrangement must be vented though.

Brian, if you're anywhere near Rushden you're welcome to a double branch fitting if you need it! It's the Terrain solvent weld type, doubt i'll ever use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back