Toilet waste - underground drainage pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a bungalow. The old toilet waste pipe connected directly to a brown underground drainage pipe running underneath the bathroom floor.

I am placing the toilet in a slightly different place and have cut the drainage pipe back and connected a Screwfix adjustable bend (I had to use one of these due to angle required).

Now the seal seems to me to be very weak as it can easily be turned and pulled off of the drainage pipe. Is this normal? If not is there some way to increase the seal perhaps with sealant?

Sponsored Links
The answer is to do the job properly by using a rigid soil pipe not a flexible one, which WILL burst off one day.

The answer is to do the job properly by using a rigid soil pipe not a flexible one, which WILL burst off one day.

The fitting is rigid http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14451/Plumbing/Underground-Drainage/Adjustable-Bend-0-90

The fitting will appear loose (hope you managed to chamfer the edge of the cut pipe first to prevent possible damage to the rubber upon pushing it into place). If you are worried about the seal, the way of testing it would be to bung/block the pipe further along the run (at manhole/inspection chamber) and fill the pipe with water up to the rim and observe any drop in level over a period of time. If it does drop, but not at the connector, then at least you can be certain that this fitting is sound :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back