Tolerance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am about to build a dormer window in my loft and am looking for some help/info. I intend to put a 600 x 900mm window in the dormer wall but am unsure as to how much tolerance is required around the window.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I plan to timber clad the dormer, I am also unsure as to how I construct a sill detail, again, any help is appreciated.

If you need any more info just ask.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Yes more info or drawings would help.
But to get the ball rolling, you don't need any tolerance if fitting a timber window, you could actually build the dormer around it. If you build the dormer first allow between 5-10 mm tolerance just so you can have room to get the window fitted.
If fitting uPVC you must have and expansion gap as plastic expands when it gets warm. Again, 5-10mm is fine unless its a really wide window. And with uPVC you will have to use sleeved frame fixings to allow for the expansion.

With regard to the cill. I assume the dormer is in a sloping roof so you will want to use a projecting cill with a lead flashing attached to the cills underside which is then dressed down onto the slope of the tiles.

Well there's a start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back