Toliet prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
attempted to assemble a toilet today, via a crap set of instructions, and i mean crap.
I have did several toilets before with no probs.

It fills up with water as normal, i put the ballcock high enough to give it maybe 2 3rds full in cistern.
problem is when i flush with handle it lets virtually no water out, it lets a little, about a cup full but not much else, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
There is something odd here. None of the toilet cisterns I have seen lately have balls at all just new fangled funney things.

He says the ball fills it 2/3 to the top whcih is about right for an internal overflow.

Some of the syphon flushers have a click notched bit you rotate to set the flushing volume. They dont usually explain about it.

Of course perhaps the cupfull is what he describes for the latest water saving minimalist flush. They are not like they used to be!

We did a CH installation for this fellow but he got his electrician to fit the new toilet. He then said that it does not flush properly, I asked what he meant, did the water on the bowl not go downI He said only when its empty. I suggested he modified his diet to include more prunes and mangoes!

Tony

Kev i will look in the china for the level, but not sure it will make much odds mate as still water in the cistern after a flush, and agile, its nothin to do with savin water or anythin, its just not a proper flush, not even a quarter flush...
when i push handle chain lifts middle bit right up but not much else, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
check the syphon wouldnt be the first duff one ive had and check the pan
ie the waterways are clear

used to do a lot of pubs and the amount of clingfilm i would pull out of the back of the pan
well thats another story ;)

kev its all brand new bog, but gotta fit the bath tomoz, victorian free standin replica, looked at it today, i thought all the fittings were a bit odd, and it was just on 3 legs, after messing around a bit thought summits not right here, told customer, she said bath is ex display model, i thought oh boll**s, i need to get to shop tomoz for all the bits, PS they supplied extra legs with umpteen washers and bolts, but no nuts....HOMEBASE

"" agile, its nothin to do with savin water or anythin, its just not a proper flush, not even a quarter flush... ""

Yes, but isn't there a part low around the middle syphon part which you can turn with notches which alters the amount of flush?

Can you lift the syphon bit and get a proper flush by holding it up?

Does the cupful come out fast?

Tony

Hi ben,

It sounds like the flush mechanism is not a syphon but a flapper valve.

The volume of the flush on these can be adjusted by rotating the big rubber disc (plug) part of the flapper. If you were too look at the rubber flapper (plug thingy) in your hand closely you would find a very small hole in the underside of the thing.

My experience the other day leads me to a possibilty of what may be wrong here.
I fitted a new urinal cistern and got the shock of my life when it started overflowing and only a dribble of water was actually siphoning out
Turned out the the outlet pipe was too far into the syphon. I cut a couple of inches off and it worked a treat.
Other ideas are that the diaphragm could be creased inside the syphon and most likely is that the syphon has air infiltration caused by a crack on a seam or 'casting' hole

got another syphon today, that never even went anywere this tiny cistern, so persevered with original one, if you press down on flush handle hard for about 3or4 goes it will give you a flush, any ideas anybody?

kevplumb said:
well some twit had to bite :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

bit a luck i didn't suggest putting a brick in the water to make it heavier then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what happen to tony's post :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back