Toilet Cistern Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into a flat and the toilet doesn't work! I have done a bit of research on the internet, but because I am not a typical DIY person, I'm still clueless about what I should do.

I have checked the inlet pipe and turned the valve to the left. There doesn't appear to be any water rushing into the ballcock assembly at all. I haven't checked to see whether the filter in the ballcock assembly is clogged up, because I am unable to get to it without first dismantling it.

Basically you have to keep filling up the toilet cistern after every time you flush it. Is there any easy way of fixing this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
what type of fill valve is it ?
is the fill valve just stuck in closed position ?
you say you turned the valve to the left, what type of valve is it ?
is it the only appliance that don't work ?

I don't understand what ' fill valve' is? Please advise.

It's a push button cistern, with a syphon and a rectagular block (which is the ballcock assembly). There is no ball, and no levers. The ballcock assembly has a tube, which I am guessing goes into the overflow tube.

The valve on the inlet pipe looks like a screw. It does not petrude much from the pipe itself. You are not able to turn it like a knob. I had to get a screwdriver to turn it to the left to see if any water goes into the ballcock assembly.

At the moment, it is vertical, like the number ' 1 '. I turned it to the left, so it was horrizontal, like a ' - ' dash. But nothing seems to have happened at all.

Sponsored Links
that ballcock assembly as you say which will be on the edge of the cister is the fill valve.
on the side is useally like a plastic float which moves up/down check it is.

the valve your talking about is a ballofix valve.
the screwdriver slot should be inline with the pipe either side of valve then the valve is open.

give us a few pics and we can see what fill valve etc you have.

I will go and take a few photos and will upload them. I can't seem to see a white plastic float thing as you have mentioned......? I'll try and capture it on the photo.... Thanks so far for your help.

yes i can see them.

on the fill valve which is the one near the edge with the white tube.
feel under the blue part their should be a float that drops down looks like its got stuck up inside.
have a feel with your fingers.

In the meantime, this is the inlet valve if you wanted to take a look also.

smiley3193.gif

I've just had a feel, and there's a thing that feels like an inverted bottle cap. It's impossible to get a good grip on it though. I've tried wedging a small srewdriver to get a grip to see if I can pull it down, but no joy. Through the holes on the surface of the blue part, I have stuck a chopstick down it to see if I can push it down, but to no avail either. Any ideas how I can pull this 'bottle cap' out??

now turn your water supply off by the valve under cistern.
then on the fill valve hold the bottom part with the teeth and with the white part with no teeth above pull up the two parts should come apart.
if not you may need to twist the top part first then pull upwards.

looking at 2 of your pics you've already had it pulled up above cistern.

then with the top part out of the cistern you can see whats going on better.

The photo shows it as high as it will go. Let me see if I can pull the two pieces apart and away from each other. One sec please.

I've just tried with all my might to prise the two pieces apart and can confirm that they do not appear to be separable. I've twisted, turned, pulled - done everything possible. The highest point it will go is shown in one of the photos. I am not able to view the part underneath that you're referring to. I can only feel it with my hands.

Do you think the whole thing needs removing and changing?

for what they cost for a new one yes i would replace it complete.
fit a fluidmaster better than the imported rubbish.

Fluidmaster-400A1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back