Tongue Tite screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of using these screws for fitting solid oak flooring? Have just bought some to fix a new 18mm solid oak floor onto a sub-floor of pine floorboards overlayed with 6mm ply.

I thought I would try these instead of hiring a porta nailer thingy and also will need to lift a small area of the floor once my extension is built (its not just a pipe dream honest!)

What centres should I use? Should you screw the short end too?

Have glued an engineered floor before but never this any comments greatly appreciated before I take the plunge! Brilliant forum - thanks!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Never come across these myself, was planning to Porta-nail my T&G oak flooring. How are they actually used, screwed through the top face, or through the tongue in the normal 'secret nailing' position / angle? Don't really see what advantage they give once the flooring is down.

Never in favour of 'screwing' a solid floor, but I know other feel different.
We always worry the normal seasonal movement of wood will be so much restricted that the boards crack and split.

9 times out of 10 we install solid floors floating on suitable sound-insulation

Thanks for the replies.

The screws are angled through the tongue in the same way as secret nailing. I think the advantage is supposed to be using a modern drill driver and the ease and speed this allows. I thought I would try them as I couldnt see any real disadvantages - my thinking goes is that its always better to use screws instead of nails when dealing with securing wood. Although floors have been nailed down for many a year of course!

The wood has been acclimatized for about two weeks so I hope it would be fairly stable by now. haven't started yet so - is glueing the best option do you think?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You never know - daeityersel might still have the same email address that he used 18 months ago.

How did you get on with the tongue-tite screws?

Well, I'm still here :D

I ended up using them, mainly due to tool hire shop letting me down with a Porta-nailer and wanting to get job done. Have to say, haven't used a Porta-nailer before so can't compare, but those screws did the job well - solid oak floor been down over a year now and no probs. I ended up drilling pilot holes first to stop tougue splitting, so overall the job probably took much longer than it would have done with a Porta-nailer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back