Too many appliances - not enough space!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello:

I have the following electrical units to be fitted above the worktop on my kitchen wall
Twin socket for general use
Switched FCU for the outside PIR light
13A Appliance switch (DP) for outdoor IP66 socket

Under the worktop there are going to be 3 x appliances
ISE waster disposer
DishWasher
Wine cooler

I believe all the above appliances should have either a FCU or an isolator above the worktop for easy isolation in the case of any failures. The problem is - the wall space is quite tight, and I already have 3 x electrical items on the wall as listed first in my post. I don't think another 3 x FCU's will (comfortably) fit on the wall space (between window and patio doors).
The house wiring is protected with an RCD.

I have several questions....

1: Do the appliances need FCU's or DP isolators?
2: Is there any chance I could run the 3 x sockets for the appliances from 1 x 25A DP isolator using 4mm cable (this would reduce the number of isolators I need to find space for) (I actually don't think can be done - just hoping really :) )
3: Failing number 2 above - how close do the FCU's / DP isolator, have to be to their respective appliance - I could site 2 of them to the left of my window approx 1.5m to the left of the appliances?
4: There is no other kitchen base unit available and the dishwasher has very little space between it and the wall (ie, socket will not fit) - Is it acceptable to put a 2 x socket under the sink (the ONLY, neighbouring kitchen unit) to run the dishwasher and Waste disposer? I know this is not advised, but there really is not any other space available. Would an IP56 twin waterproof socket make this practice any more acceptable?
5: Failing number 4 above, I may be able to get 3 x single sockets behind the wine cooler, but I will have to wait until it is delivered before I will know.

Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
I don't understand how you have 3 appliances and no room for switches.

If the appliances are each 600mm wide, you can put a switch on the wall directly above the appliance it feeds. This leaves plenty of room for extra socjets and switches in the same horizontal plane. Ther positioning also makers it obvious what the switch does and it is readiliy visible and accessible when required for maintenance or in an emergency.

If the appliances are on a ring or radial fused at 32A, you either need a 32A rated DP switch above each, feeding a single 13A socket below; or a 13A switched FCU feeding either a flex outlet or an unswitched socket below (there is a theoretical, but no practical, objection to having an appliance protected by two 13A fuses in series)

Sponsored Links
BAS. That is what I had in mind too. But unless you call it a grid-switch he will struggle to find them. The grid switch system is not just for switches. Fuse holders, neons, even some types of sockets can be included. The back box can be square as big as 4 single sockets. Double pole switches can also be used with same system and can even have names on them like "dish washer" there are a number of makes but I would look at MK.
Have a look
here for some examples. Here is a fuse holder as one example of the items that can be added.

I don't understand how you have 3 appliances and no room for switches.
The ISE waste disposer goes under the sink unit, to the right is the 600mm dishwasher and to the right of that is a 150mm wine cooler.
Above the sink is a big window and to the right of the winecooler + 400mm is the left edge of the patio doors. In this space I already have a twin socket and 2 x FCU's

I will look into the Grid switch system and see if it meets my needs - I only hope it comes in something other than white as the double sockets at worktop level are polished chrome. If a similar finish is not available on the Grid switch, I'll be likely to shy away from it.

Thanks for the replies so far...

The grid switches do come in many finishes have a look here shows many more options. This one

ZZMKSLASHK4893BSSW.JPG
brushed stainless steel for example.

BAS. That is what I had in mind too. But unless you call it a grid-switch he will struggle to find them.
Or unless he clicks the picture.... ;)

The grid switch system is not just for switches. Fuse holders, neons, even some types of sockets can be included. The back box can be square as big as 4 single sockets. Double pole switches can also be used with same system and can even have names on them like "dish washer" there are a number of makes but I would look at MK.
Have a look
RF posted some photos of the MK Edge range once.

I only hope it comes in something other than white as the double sockets at worktop level are polished chrome. If a similar finish is not available on the Grid switch, I'll be likely to shy away from it.
MK (the one I linked to) comes in about 10 different styles and dozens of finishes.

Plus there are other makes, e.g. Crabtree, Scolmore

What make are your sockets?

Thanks for all the feedback:
I think I will be going with the grid system.
This looks liek quite a tidy solution...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back