Too many loops ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

first post and please excuse me if my terminology and understanding of this dark art is poor.

My 5 bed house started out as a 2 bed cottage , and I bought it in its extended state.

It would appear that the heating system has been extended in a haphazard way.

I fully understand that the vented system with a floor standing boiler and a pump for the CH and a second pump for hot water is dated , but it is what it is , and is reliable.

So my problem:

The CH pipes from the boiler are 22mm and as you would expect , the flow and return run upstairs to a cupboard with the hot water cylinder.

To start with , at ground floor level , there is a 15mm loop buried in the floor feeding 4 old radiators.

This pipework is set in concrete and I suspect is leaking , so I propose to dig up and replace with 22mm , and feed the new rads with 15mm tails - is that ok ?

Secondly , in the airing cupboard there is another 15mm loop feeding 2 upstairs radiators. These get very hot.

Thirdly , there is a single straight spine of 22mm flow and return running down the centre of the house , with several long 15mm loops attached.

Naturally trying to balance all this is a real nightmare , and some rads just dont get hot.

So , my proposal .

As above - set the downstairs 4 rads in 22mm with 15mm tails.

Then , get rid of the straight run upstairs of 22mm with all of its loops , and instead run from room to room in 22mm to create an arc so to speak , so that the 22mm is closer to the rads , and have short 15mm tails to the rads.

This way I will eliminate all of the upstairs loops and effectively have a single circuit upstairs.

This might sound naive , and maybe not even logical , but I need to do something.

All opinions are most welcome

thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
You may need to do some flow resistance and pump head calculations, you might find it may require a new main pump or a secondary circulator to provide enough head to feed all the rads satisfactorily, depending on the length of runs and number of direction changes etc.

Hi Rob

thanks for your reply.
As mentioned , this is not my speciality , so such calcs are a bit over my head to be honest.

Im wondering if a pdf attachment with the layout on it would help?

Cheers

Steve

It isn't all that difficult to be honest. Unless you have a huge sprawling house or lots of levels with the highest pipes over 6m in height from the pump and/or really long pipe runs (10's of Meters) then a standard sized pump should be more than enough.

An ideal setup would be to run a 22mm backbone the length of the installation and then with similar length 15mm feeds tee'd off to the rads.

A standard 15 -50/60 (65) pump should be more than suitable with this type of layout. The system/rads may need cleaned/flushed too to minimise warm up times.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back