Too many radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a limit to the number of radiators you can have in a system? Can I run 9 rads from a 15mm pipe, if everything else in the house is 15m or microbore? I read in one of the B&Q leaflets you should only use 3 rads from 15m. I already have a bunch of 15m pipework to one rad, but to replace it with 22mm would mean ripping up the floor. What happens if I extend it and add the extra rads (8) I need? Do the rads just take longer to warm up or what?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Sponsored Links
I can't find the figures, but you could work it out :D :D Find the flow of water at a given pressure (from the pump). Allow 10 deg C drop across a radiator, and from the flow of water and 10 deg, calculate the power available. A radiator has a kW rating, so you can divide the power available by the chosen rads. Simple (not).

Or the simplier way of adding up all the radiators, and using 4.25Kw max for a 15mm run, and 10.5kw for a 22mm run. I actually found out the answer to my question, that is the rads only ever get warm, and not hot, if you put too many rads on a 15mm pipe.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Sponsored Links
.... 4.25Kw max for a 15mm run, and 10.5kw for a 22mm....

Great, those are the figures I couldn't find. What is the figure for 28mm, and where can I find the figures for further reference please?

Adding extra rads is useful for all the poor unfortunates who think they will get a payback period of 2 years for their new condensing boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back