Too small for the hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a small 1930s mid-terraced house. The front door is original and I like it. It fits with the house and adds character, unlike the various double-glazed doors along the road. The trouble is that it is beginning to show too much character.

At some point the door has been planed down to fit. I’m not sure what clown did this, but it’s been reduced in size too much. There is a good 5-7mm gap at the bottom and a tapered gap down the side starting at 1mm and increasing to about 7mm at the bottom.

If this wasn’t enough the fool who fitted the door painted the back and front, but not the top and bottom; the door has now warped. The top of the door fits a treat, but the bottom sticks inwards about 5mm.

You can see daylight round the thing, so as doors go it’s pretty bad. The wind whistle threw it and it’s prone to rattle.

I don’t want to change the door, but I do want to make it a little more weather proof. Assuming that enlarging the door is impossible I want to explore the idea of adding weather stripping.

Can any of you sage folk offer advice, please.

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can think of here to disguise a warped door is to fit closing beads to the outside of the frame mullions and transom and painting them afterwards? You could also fit a timber water bar at the bottom of the door to disguise that bit - it depends on how it would look, I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back