Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,
I have 3 projects coming up:
- laying a real wood floor (30sqm)
- build a decking platform
- install new skirting to 3 rooms

I am wondering which type of power saw would see me right for all of these jobs. Cutting a straight line with a hand saw or jigsaw has never been my strong point!
Looking on Screwfix, they sell Scroll Saws, Mitre Saws and Chop Saws.
I would appreciate any advice on what to go for and any tips on offer.

Thanks in advance[/img]

Sponsored Links
Sliding Mitre saw, would be ideal for these projects, with a good sharp blade of at least 60 teeth for the flooring and perhaps one of 40 teeth for the decking. Although you might just want the 60 teeth one for all of them (depends on the amount of cuts to do, but a spare blade always comes in useful) ;) ;)

A sliding compound mitre saw is what I have and would do all these jobs comfortably. The fact that it slides allows you to cut wider timber without turning it.
Believe it or not, I bought it from Aldi 3 years ago for £50 (+ £10 for 2 extra finer toothed blades) thinking it would only last long enough to do some decking and skirtings I had to do, but it's still as good as ever now after doing countless jobs with it. Granted, it doesn't have the quality of more expensive versions, and would probably die if used every day, but it's ideal for the odd jobs the average DIYer will do throughout the year.
ABSOLUTE BARGAIN in my eyes. :eek:

You will also need a decent handsaw for some cuts and a coping saw for internal corners when doing the skirting.

Sponsored Links
You will probably need a saw for rip cuts to flooring and maybe decking, either a circular saw or a cheap table saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back