What Do I Need To Fit New Skirting Boards ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!

We are just about to replace the skirting boards in our small 3 bed semi – 10 years old. Current skirting boards tiny and been abused so they are all off and down the tip that’s the easy part done. Now onto the difficult bit I’m not sure what tools we will need to do this. I’ve browsed this forum and now know all about mitres & scribing but there seems to be a variety of views on tools:

So can anyone out there give me a very simple list of tools needed – we are starting from scratch and have very little experience and ideally would like to keep costs low as poss but we do want power tools as time is short – 3 weekends only before new carpets and 5 rooms plus hall to do.

Do we need? Mitre Saw or Circular Saw? Will either do both jobs?
Work bench? Do we need any attachments?
Mitre Box? Is this required with the mitre/ circular saw?
Anything else?

If we buy cheapish tools say from Screwfix? will they do the job OK?

I’d really appreciate your thoughts/ experience/ advice.

Sponsored Links
Glue skirting to walls with the cheapest gripfix ;) from screwfix?...get some really cheap electric saws from Focus diy.....check out their guarantee ;) MDF skirting?pre primed

Glue skirting to walls with the cheapest gripfix

Yoday, I used Unika Multi-fix. Fabulous bit of adhesive! Practically sticks as soon as it's applied. Well, lets say I had trouble removing it to wipe off the excess :LOL:. Highly recommended anyway ;).

Sponsored Links
If you DO use adheisve make sure that whatever you stick it to is itself not gonna come off the wall. For example, a painted or papered surface won't provide a good bond to the plaster so the boards will ping off in time.

Stick to MDF skirting too, as most timber skirting in places like B&Q has been stored incorrectly, is rubbish, and tends to be warped in all three dimensions!

For example, a painted or papered surface won't provide a good bond to the plaster so the boards will ping off in time.

Yea, I only used adhesive on a small piece which is behind the sink out of harm's way. I screwed the big piece over the tiles and into the plaster. Unfortunately, the walls were uneven so I got flexible skirting and used wood filler to fill in the spaces behind. I am actually amazed at how good it looks too so I'm very happy :).

Oh and about B&Q; Yea, they do store their timber upright which is a bit foolish. They should store it flat! The amount of times I've bought cladding that has buckled the next day due to their strange storage conditions is endless :cry:.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back