Tool for removing Halogen bulb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the very basic question, but...

Ive moved into a house and cant figure out how to remove one of many bulbs in the kitchen, positioned under the wall units...any advise appreciated. Ive tried fiddling with it but nearly ripped my fingers to bits on the sharp edges...Ive uploaded a pic of the bulb/fitting in question.

Thank in advance.

Sponsored Links
You want a lamp sucker,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GURS.html.

Depending on lamp type, it could be a quater turn for GU10 or a direct pull out if MR16.

Edit:
Looking at your picture the glass lens could either require a twist to release it, or could be sprung fixed and requires prising away by use of a small flat head screwdriver. isolate before tampering, the lamp is a capsule and can be accessed and removed once the lens has been removed. If it is 12V supply, as it seems to be, it could be that the transformers has failed rather than the lamp.

You want a lamp sucker,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GURS.html.

Depending on lamp type, it could be a quater turn for GU10 or a direct pull out if MR16.

Edit:
Looking at your picture the glass lens could either require a twist to release it, or could be sprung fixed and requires prising away by use of a small flat head screwdriver. isolate before tampering, the lamp is a capsule and can be accessed and removed once the lens has been removed. If it is 12V supply, as it seems to be, it could be that the transformers has failed rather than the lamp.

Thanks. Does your EDIT invalidate the 'sucker' requirement? i.e. is the sucker for removing the whole unit, but this may not be required if I manage to remove the lens?

Sponsored Links
all going over my head a it to be honest, but i'll try to remove/replace the bulb using a sucker and take it from there! Thanks for advice so far...

You do not need a sucker for that. The inner metal piece (that holds the glass) just clips into the outer metal bit.
A small screwdriver or knife should prise it off. Mind you don't break teh glass!
Then you can just pull out the little capsule lamp. Hold teh new one in a bit of tissue when u put it back. Don't get your greasy fingers on teh bulb or it will pop very quickly.

PS Ignore Winston's post. He's trying to dig up an old arguement about what is and what is not a transformer. Don't worry, Big Brother will get him, soon….. :evil:

PS Ignore Winston's post. He's trying to dig up an old arguement about what is and what is not a transformer. Don't worry, Big Brother will get him, soon….. :evil:

I object to that. You have no right to tell anyone to ignore someone else's post. The post was not even directed to the OP anyway, nor you for that matter.

OP ignore whoever you wish to but you do not need the sucker on this lamp, I edited as I had not seen your picture of the fitting. As TTC has clarified the lamp lens looks like it should pop out with a little gently help via small flat headed screwdriver.
The capsule lamp can then be moved easily by hand, on replacement if the lamp still fails to work then I would confirm 230V supply voltage to the transformer, if supply voltage is present then it is likely the tranny has failed and needs replacing.

Remember to use clean tissue paper to hold the new lamp when fitting it. Touching it with fingers will leave a trace of grease which can react with the quartz glass when it is hot and thus shorten the life of the lamp.

View media item 76681I could not see the picture on the post and had to find the album which is likely to have resulted in the incorrect information about rubber sucker which is not required for your lamps.

For correctly fitted and maintained lamps transformers do not often fail although it is so easy to fit wrong size bulb and overload the transformer and then of course failure is common.

What I have found is the bulb holder often fails rather than the bulb and fitting a new bulb has the effect of cleaning the holder as it's inserted so works for a time but then also fails due to holder fault rather than bulb.

Often when a bulb blows it blackens inside of quartz envelope the fact it is not black does point to non bulb fault. Today we tend to use bulbs encapsulated inside a reflector and glass front so you can't touch the quartz envelope. But with ones shown it is easy to transfer grease from your fingers to the quartz which will cause premature failure. Idea is to not remove cardboard sleeve until after inserted but with that fitting it would be hard. Gloves are easy way out.

Thanks for the education guys and indeed the entertainment along the way. I am sure the sucker Ive ordered will come in handy for other lighting in the house and the screwdriver will be put into action when i get home from work today...will feedback when done. P.S. I didnt think I could paste thee pics directly into the post...will ensure I do that in future. Cheers!

The sucker will very likely allow you to also remove the lens on this fitting, once suction is created it could well be strong enough to pull the lens off without need of another tool.

I object to that. You have no right to tell anyone to ignore someone else's post. The post was not even directed to the OP anyway, nor you for that matter.
Whoever (if anyone!) it was directed at, it succeeded in confusing the OP - which, as I've said before, is (just as with comments about UK 'nominal' supply voltage) always the risk. This is a DIY forum, with (IMO) the primary goal of helping, not unnecessarily confusing, DIYers!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back