tool handle repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We have an Estwing hammer and an Estwing Joiners Axe (like a hatchet) which both have handles covered in rings of leather. The leather has now perished and is falling apart, so these 2 tools are more or less unusable. They are both so nicely balanced and well-made that we would like to get the handles fixed. My husband thinks the company would mend them (though presumably with modern materiasl, not leather) but we have no idea how to find out. Do any of you very knowledgeable people know?

Linda

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a local old fashioned cobblers?

They will often have a go at leather products other than shoes.

Estwing still make their tools with a choice of either rubber or leather handles, the main problem I see with returning them to the manufacturer is that they are made in the USA and I doubt it would be cost effective to get them repaired that way, esp[ecially bearing in mind that B&Q are now selling estwing hammers for £25 maybe you would be better off finding a leatherworker who may be able to sort them out if you are that attached to them.

Thankyou both for your replies. Apparently Estwing doesn't do repairs any more, and it would have been way too expensive to send them anyway. We used to have a little old cobbler who could have done it, but he closed down a few years ago. We've decided to have a bash at fixing them ourselves instead.

Thanks again

Linda

Sponsored Links
I found old saddles to be a good source of leather at a good price.

I think to get a nice tight leather fitting, it should be laced or sewn onto the handle when the leather is wet, then the leather shrinks when it dries giving a shrink wrap tight fit. Thats how they do it on some sword handles, I would assume it is the same principle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back