a new axe

Sponsored Links
Technique for sharpening an axe?

Although mine's a cheapy, it has never had anything like an edge on it.

Guidance please

Wabbit , you probably already know the obvious answer get a better axe, quality tools will hold a better edge than cheaper ones. Unfortunately my axe I need to replace has been sharpened back so much that it doesn't hold an edge now for long :cry:
Sharpening can be carried out with a number of methods. I use a fine file for general work and hone it with a stone where that bit extra is needed. For a tool that requires a lot of work to bring it back such as where the edge has struck a nail and put a nick in it then I will start with a belt sander with 100 , 120 or 150 grit belts. Belt sanders are useful for this in that it's very easy to keep an eye on the blade to ensure it doesn't heat up but do remember to take the bag off. I didn't once and set fire to the bag :oops:
Take some care and time sharpening, the main fault I've seen is the tendancy to rock the file in the same way that people rock a chisel on a stone. The result is the same too, a blunt edge. I'll file toward and away from the edge and I don't think it makes any difference,( others may disagree?) it all comes down to holding the tool firmly.

here's a couple of videos that may help (picture worth a thousand words and all that)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKpsFLNvTD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCo1jbU3t0M&feature=related

On these videos or others like them they show how sharp they are by cutting paper. All well and good but the real test is to try it on wet paper, a sharp knife will cut it whereas a blade even slightly blunt will tear it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back