Tools you can't do without

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In another thread, some of us were talking about a long-handled razor- edge scraper that's great for scraping the high points off artex, stripping loose paint , wallpaper, etc. I've only recently bought one of these and it's one of those tools I wonder how I've managed without for so long. There must be other such tools. So, how about sharing some of your favourite tools or gadgets?

Sponsored Links
At the moment I use this . I bought it cheap with the sole intention of selling it on e-bay but I started using it , and now I use it all the time . not sure I'd buy one at normal price tho'

Sponsored Links
bought one of these just to pull up a couple of floor boards in my house. Used it for oodles of tasks since, from tile stripping, nail pulling, light demolition, hoiking up a patio...

.. only cost me £2! :D

Nail-Pullers-&-Wrecking-Bar-Utility-Pry-Bar.jpg

Couldn't live without my finishing trowel. Or my buckets, mixing stick and paddle, hawk and guaging & bucket trowels for that matter.

Plastering is what earns me my living though!

Non essential kit - cordless circular saw. Fantastic. Use it for much more than intended. The biggest time saver is using it to cut patches out of old ceiling boards.

regards

Fred

wanabechippie said:
bought one of these just to pull up a couple of floor boards in my house. Used it for oodles of tasks since, from tile stripping, nail pulling, light demolition, hoiking up a patio...

Yes, it's often the simplest tools that work the best. I once bought a small power sander - looked like an iron - and it was useless. It was supposed to collect its own dust but instead it blew it all over the room and didn't sand very well, anyway. I took it back and got a refund.

NickStone said:
wanabechippie said:

Yes, it's often the simplest tools that work the best. I once bought a small power sander - looked like an iron - and it was useless. It was supposed to collect its own dust but instead it blew it all over the room and didn't sand very well, anyway. I took it back and got a refund.

Has anyone else got stories of tools that didn't work as expected and took them back for a refund?

bought a trend power door hinge cutter off of e-bay. did a nice job, but the time it took to set up it was quicker to do it by hand with a decent chisel. :rolleyes:

FredFlintstone said:
Non essential kit - cordless circular saw. Fantastic. Use it for much more than intended. The biggest time saver is using it to cut patches out of old ceiling boards.

That sounds like a good idea, Fred. I'm always pleased when I manage to recycle things I'd otherwise throw out (the ceiling board, I mean.)

I agree with Thermo about the hinge cutter.

If you do any plastering then you'll find a 'pipe trowel' a Godsend.

It's a long springy trowel with the handle at one end and just so useful for those places you can't get your main trowel - and you get a much better finish than a margin trowel. Have you got one Fred? About £7 from B&Q for a Ragni.

Thermo said:
bought a trend power door hinge cutter off of e-bay. did a nice job, but the time it took to set up it was quicker to do it by hand with a decent chisel. :rolleyes:

depends on how many doors you have to fit , plus try chiselling a mdf frame
deffo has its uses

joe-90 said:
I agree with Thermo about the hinge cutter.

If you do any plastering then you'll find a 'pipe trowel' a Godsend.

It's a long springy trowel with the handle at one end and just so useful for those places you can't get your main trowel - and you get a much better finish than a margin trowel. Have you got one Fred? About £7 from B&Q for a Ragni.

Hi Joe,

No, I've only got a few margin trowels of various different lengths and widths (athough they ain't that flexible) which seem to do a reasonable job although a springy pipe trowel sounds pretty useful I must say. Off to Screfix tomorrow anyway for a couple of things (in addition to my two free pencils and no. 25 coffee) so may pick one up.

Regards

Fred

cant do without my paslode and my coil nailer for fencing and decking.

cant do without my post level, only a few quid but god i wish the elastic bands wouldnt break!

My old howard 350 rotovator thats about 40 years old is a godsend

My trenching shovel is great gets used for all sorts of things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back