Help identifying these tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me identify these tools are for?

The first seems to be some kind of marking tool, not sure if there are any parts missing. The folded piece of metal slides along the shaft and has a cutting edge.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-01 at 15.39.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-01 at 15.40.41.jpeg

The second has a stamp that says James Howarth Sheffield. I guess it's some kind of chisel, but I've not seen one with a pointed tip like that. It's a lot thicker than a regular chisel, perhaps double the thickness of the old firmer chisels I have. I would guess it was a woodturning tool, but the handle isn't long enough.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-07 at 22.03.44.jpeg

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
+1 for the parting tool.
Something rings a bell somewhere that the first thing was used to turn under the lip of turned wooden bowls but I've no idea at all how it works.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I never would have guessed it was a tin opener - I found it in a set of tools that belonged to my grandfather.

#2 would be reaally useful if it is a parting tool as I've just bought my first lathe, but none of the parting tools I've seen have the bevels which come to a point like this, rather they look like this: https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...69257754-Hss-Turning-Chisel-15Mm-Parting-Tool. How would you use this one?

Well what do you know! No more than a mile off :whistle: Why would a carpenter have a tin opener in his kit?
Maybe that parting tool is actually one for doing decorative Vee rings around the bowl circumference.
John :)

Maybe it was something that a carpenter would also find useful?
e.g. I have a plumber's pipe cleaning brush in my mechanical toolbox. I find it handy for cleaning little awkward things that my wire brush won't get into.
I also have a 25mm old, blunt wood chisel that I sometimes use for scraping gaskets. I keep it blunt so as not to damage anything.
There's other things in there too that look out of place.

Seems a weird tin opener.
Maybe its for tins of aquer etc. that the lid has got stuck down so it creates a new hole in the tin lid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back